No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Loeffler Confirms Golovkin-Jacobs Did About 170K PPV Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MantisToboggan View Post
    Exactly , stupid canela fans pretending that ginger hoe is a PPV star.

Its a simple formula, mexicans love boxing, take one mexican boxer and every year on biggest mexican holiday where all families get together and willing to pay for a ppv make a fight. Of f-king course mexicans will buy some ppv that day, 250k worth Thats it!!!! not more not less. Lets see Canela fight someone in March he cant.
    This is about Alvarez numbers vs Trips numbers. It's like folks are finding anything negative to say about Alvarez numbers just to ignore Trips low numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
      I just don't get why they avoid the fight at all costs. Right now it's a 50/50 fight action packed. As a huge ggg fan I think $7mil and 20% of ppv is fair. Right???

I think that Golovkin could EASILY have fought Canelo for the 10mil he got offered..... I think that Golovkin could EASILY have fought Canelo for the 15mil he got offered..... and I think that Golovkin could EASILY fight Canelo for what you suggested as well

but I thought that Golovkin could EASILY have fought Canelo at catchweight, so..... ?

also, maybe they can offer Golovkin more money - not 100% convinced about that, what if it only sells 600k? - but Golovkin fans are the last guys who should be talking about roadblocks when their guy could simply pick up that HUGE chq and fight

what I believe is..... the difference in money between 15mil, and the offer that you suggested..... is an absurd reason to kill the fight..... especially if you happen to be the B-side who just went life and death with Danny Jacobs, and who doesn't appear to have too many other options

Comment

Horrible. For good of boxing HBO might have to force GGG vs Canelo for good of boxing. At least if they want to continue being the foremost authority on boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          I hear what you're saying but I think he's got a good angle, especially compared to Canelo, who has the personality of a lawn.
          GG has the dichotomy of the unassuming guy who happens to be a killer in the ring. Many people love that. He's got the quirky accent and big smile. I don't know that he needs to do much more. The lack of depth and names in the division just made it hard to build a name for him. When Tyson was coming up, he had some names to feast on. GG hadn't had the luxury as Sergio was gone and Cotto went south.
          that persona worked well for Pac for many many years.......

"eyeeeee, uhmmmmmmmm, just want to make everyone happyyyyyyyy"

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            That's a big improvement over his last PPV and a good sign. I hope this really did that well.
            No it isn't. They went from roughly 153k to roughly 170k. Those numbers suck. Are they as painful for GGG as it would be for Canelo? No because the GGG card is less expensive so they need less buys to make a profit. But while it is trending upwards its not enough. That's something like a 10% increase. For the PPV to have seen improvement to call it a real success they would have needed at least 220k-250k. That would be real growth. I'm one of the biggest GGG fanboys on this site and those numbers aren't really all that impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by R-C View Post
              Since when 170K is good PPV numbers? even Jim Lampley (an HBO guy) said that all PPV should be at least 300K.

This PPV FLOPPED big time.
              Well it would depend upon how you define flop. If you define flop as it should have X amount of buys then yes it was a flop. But if it makes a profit then it really isn't a flop. Its just a disappointment.

For instance. 2 movies hit the theaters on the same weekend. Movie one is a big budget movie like the new Transformers. It pulls in 30 million. The second is one of those found footage horror movies like The Blair Witch Project. It makes 15 million. You would think movie 1 was the big hit. But no, because it had a 300 million dollar budget its considered a flop because at this rate they'd be lucky to break even. The found footage movie had a budget funded by maxed out credit cards from the director. It made its money back and then some. Its the hit. Same thing with the PPV. Maybe the salaries were low enough that they made a profit after the PPV buys, sponsors, ticket sales, HBO license are taken into account. But the optics of those numbers are bad.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                to be fair, Lemieux was more well-known than Jacobs, and that PPV happened during a healthier PPV climate..... and yet they sold more PPV's with the less-known Jacobs, in a more-difficult PPV climate

Golovkin's stock must be climbing

but not enough for any real leverage with Canelo

let's face it, Golovkin is likely worth 20% to Canelo based on head-to-head sales..... they should take that 15mil, or whatever they are offered..... even 10mil + a percentage over a certain amount of buys seems like a great deal in hindsight
                Holy ****. A quote from this son of a gun that I 100% agree with. What is going on here!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                  I think that Golovkin could EASILY have fought Canelo for the 10mil he got offered..... I think that Golovkin could EASILY have fought Canelo for the 15mil he got offered..... and I think that Golovkin could EASILY fight Canelo for what you suggested as well

but I thought that Golovkin could EASILY have fought Canelo at catchweight, so..... ?

also, maybe they can offer Golovkin more money - not 100% convinced about that, what if it only sells 600k? - but Golovkin fans are the last guys who should be talking about roadblocks when their guy could simply pick up that HUGE chq and fight

what I believe is..... the difference in money between 15mil, and the offer that you suggested..... is an absurd reason to kill the fight..... especially if you happen to be the B-side who just went life and death with Danny Jacobs, and who doesn't appear to have too many other options

Ok you went all over I guess my point is ggg messed up because unless the fight does 1.5 mil buys and he gets say 30% then that 15 mil looked pretty damn good. Serious question though when has any fighter at ggg level belts popularity whwnhas fighter ever taken a flat fee? Cantnelo didn't with Floyd. Neither did manny or cotto. Sh it Oscar even split the ppv with Floyd and Oscar was by a landslide the so called a side.

Comment

Originally posted by Paragonpony View Post
                    Just like every other business, boxing changes. Why would a person who can barely afford his rent pay $65, when he can watch it on Periscope? I make good money honest, and I still cant justify paying $65 for something that is free on periscope..... If boxing was my business, I would accept that PPV is not a money maker like it once was and look for a new profit stream. IF PPV dies, I think it actually would benefit boxing and the unintended consequence would be that boxing would be more mainstream> and a smart entrepreneur can figure out how to make money on that. Arum is old in his ways and Oscar is just following an old blueprint. I respect al Haymon for trying to get away from the PPV and going with PBC.
                    They certainly need to switch things up a bit. As I mentioned in another thread if you're going to have this ppv then don't do it at $65. That's way too high a price point. Do it at 40-45 and see what kind of numbers you can pull. Also, why not put on a free show on network tv to help promote the card. Jacobs is a PBC fighter. Couldn't a geninue co-promotion be worked out where they have a couple good fights happen on NBC or Fox while promoting the PPV. The UFC has been doing similar stuff on Spike for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                      I hear what you're saying but I think he's got a good angle, especially compared to Canelo, who has the personality of a lawn.
                      GG has the dichotomy of the unassuming guy who happens to be a killer in the ring. Many people love that. He's got the quirky accent and big smile. I don't know that he needs to do much more. The lack of depth and names in the division just made it hard to build a name for him. When Tyson was coming up, he had some names to feast on. GG hadn't had the luxury as Sergio was gone and Cotto went south.

I like GGG. Reminds me a lot of a boxing version of Fedor Emelianeko. GGG looks like a guy who probably got picked on in grade school but fights like a killer. Fedor is the same kind of guy. Just a fat Russian dude with a goofy grin and a hilariously ugly sweater. But when he was at his best he was just destroying dudes.

Comment

Working...
                      X