Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Great Could Julian Jackson Have Been?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Great Could Julian Jackson Have Been?

Had he a better chin? Like the likes of say... Hagler or McClellan?

if julian had a better chin? i think he still would have been dominated by mike mccallum... the body snatcher still would have prevailed by outboxing him...

and if he had a better chin, MAYBE he would have split his 2 fight series with mcclellan taking the first, but not the second in which he was nailed with a body shot...

i think it was not his chin that held him back... he was quite one dimensional and had a relatively limited skillset...

to sum it up, i think nothing much would hav changed if he had a sturdier chin...

Comment

some of his fights would have lasted longer

i wouldn't go on a limb and say that he'd become one of the greatest fighters of his generation

he was a bit crude. he didn't develop the craft that somebody might if they aren't blessed with such heavy hands

with a cast iron jaw, however, he would have been quite a rough go of it on paper

i'll also add that something's got to be said about the manner in which he fought and how it lends itself to receiving hard punches

to punch as hard as jackson does you've got to completely abandon defense for a split second many times during a fight
      everything goes into generating that power
      sure he can pay attention to what's going on, but he cant hold an ounce of his power back when he's banging like that

there's an inherent risk there
      even an iron chinned man can be effected by his opponents shots when he's going all out to punch with power the way jackson does

jackson almost looks like he's falling, and he keeps his opponents head at the end of a punch to keep him upright
      he's got scary power

and X, after watching kessler look very good last night i'm starting to become less confident in bute haha. bute's fought nothing but bums while kessler was in the damn SS.
      i thought kessler was done and was evidently pretty wrong

bet's a bet, though lol
      you might end up owning my E-house

Comment

He might have gone further. But he would be outboxed by some top fighters and over powered by some others still.
        Often fans often see fighters score big knockouts and think, "wow they are that good". This is directed to all big punchers and not just Jackson who was a pretty good fighter.
        On the other hand, had Jackson not had the big power he might not have been so aggresive and focused more on ability and defense. His chin would not be the subject here.
        Last edited by TBear; 06-06-2011, 05:01 AM.

Comment

hahaha wow i thought this thread was dead.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            some of his fights would have lasted longer

i wouldn't go on a limb and say that he'd become one of the greatest fighters of his generation

he was a bit crude. he didn't develop the craft that somebody might if they aren't blessed with such heavy hands

with a cast iron jaw, however, he would have been quite a rough go of it on paper

i'll also add that something's got to be said about the manner in which he fought and how it lends itself to receiving hard punches

to punch as hard as jackson does you've got to completely abandon defense for a split second many times during a fight
            everything goes into generating that power
            sure he can pay attention to what's going on, but he cant hold an ounce of his power back when he's banging like that

there's an inherent risk there
            even an iron chinned man can be effected by his opponents shots when he's going all out to punch with power the way jackson does

jackson almost looks like he's falling, and he keeps his opponents head at the end of a punch to keep him upright
            he's got scary power

and X, after watching kessler look very good last night i'm starting to become less confident in bute haha. bute's fought nothing but bums while kessler was in the damn SS.
            i thought kessler was done and was evidently pretty wrong

bet's a bet, though lol
            you might end up owning my E-house
            wow great analysis new england.

green k.

And a bets a bet! No turnin back now!

Comment

Originally posted by Tha Executioner View Post
              wow great analysis new england.

green k.

And a bets a bet! No turnin back now!

dude he looked great! where was that guy during the ward fight?
              and here's what i'm really wondering... is ward really good enough to reduce kessler from the beast that fought saturday to the guy who looked like he was ready to retire after the ward fight?

bute's gonna get knocked out if kessler shows up aggressive and throwing combinations like that lol
              kessler's been fighter guys int he SS and bute;s been fighting cabbies lol

but a bet's a bet lol and i'm stickin to my gunz
              Last edited by New England; 06-06-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tha Executioner View Post
                Had he a better chin? Like the likes of say... Hagler or McClellan?
                I love his power, but I always thought him a bit crude or amateurish and wide open to be countered. With a better chin he of course improves, but I don't think it brings him to an elite level. Jmo.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  I love his power, but I always thought him a bit crude or amateurish and wide open to be countered. With a better chin he of course improves, but I don't think it brings him to an elite level. Jmo.

i love his hair.

and i'm waiting on the amateur who punches like that lol

Comment

What hurts Jackson's career was nobody wants to fight him, he only had few name opponents in his resume, McCallum, Drayton, Norris, Graham and McClellan, Michael Nunn and James Toney wants no part of Jackson, even former champ Sumbu Kalambay, who was rated no.1 by the WBC in '92, opted for Steve Collins and the WBO version, and Julian was forced to fight anybody else being put in there by Don King.

Comment

Working...
                    X