Collapse
No announcement yet.

Middle knuckle pain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

might just be a case of simple bruising, if its not painful unless you are hitting an object i doubt its tendon injury, if its painful when you form a fist or do the opposite then it possibly could be, but from my knowledge its rare to get a tendon injury in the fingers, especially in the extensors which is what the tendon over the knuckle is. Fact that that knuckle is protruding so much compared to the others obviously means its taking the brunt of the force so it probably is just a result of impact stress. The advice from the other posters is sound, use gel pads, thicker gloves when training. Maybe put some ice on it for 15 or so minutes after a session for pain relief. I would also take a few days off and work on other things other than high impact work.

Comment

Originally posted by chris232 View Post
      might just be a case of simple bruising, if its not painful unless you are hitting an object i doubt its tendon injury, if its painful when you form a fist or do the opposite then it possibly could be, but from my knowledge its rare to get a tendon injury in the fingers, especially in the extensors which is what the tendon over the knuckle is. Fact that that knuckle is protruding so much compared to the others obviously means its taking the brunt of the force so it probably is just a result of impact stress. The advice from the other posters is sound, use gel pads, thicker gloves when training. Maybe put some ice on it for 15 or so minutes after a session for pain relief. I would also take a few days off and work on other things other than high impact work.
      Tendon irritation happens a lot. A tear is less common but it shouldn't be ignored as it will only get worse until allowed to heal.

Few articles for anyone interested since I've had a couple PMs regarding this thread.
      Boxer's knuckle. Traumatic disruption of the extensor hood.
      Hame SL1, Melone CP Jr.
      Author information
      Abstract
      The unique function of the boxer's hand requires persistent, forceful punching in a constantly clenched fist posture, therefore, the metacarpophalangeal joints are continually exposed to blunt trauma and highly vulnerable to injury. This injury is traditionally termed boxer's knuckle. Although a myriad of metacarpophalangeal joint derangement is apt to result from isolated or repetitive blows inflicted and absorbed by the hand, the most serious and disabling type of boxer's knuckle is extensor hood disruption.

Beyond the hood (tendons) there is the sagittal band (the one I get issues with) which is another tendon. This article describes it well and has pics the OP might want to reference;
      http://www.handwristblog.com/sagitta...oxers-knuckle/
      "This case involves a 24 year old Mixed Martial Artist who injured his non-dominant left hand at the base of the middle finger at the knuckle or MCP joint after throwing a straight punch. He felt immediate pain and swelling with snapping noted at the top of the knuckle when moving the finger from extension to flexion.
      On examination, there was localized swelling with inability to fully extend the MCP joint and a palpable defect to the side of the extensor tendon."

Comment

I bought the Winning Knuckle Guards but have no idea how to use them. Tips? I also have a problem with the tendon sitting on the very top of my protruding knuckle.

It's weird because when I use to box in college (3 years--6 years ago), I never had this issue. What's happens is the knuckle from the back side of my hand is jammed against the glove interior. imgur.com/a/9EpPh (Protrudes outward and upward towards the camera)
        Last edited by GlassHands; 08-08-2017, 04:00 AM. Reason: added image

Comment

Originally posted by GlassHands View Post
          I bought the Winning Knuckle Guards but have no idea how to use them. Tips? I also have a problem with the tendon sitting on the very top of my protruding knuckle.

It's weird because when I use to box in college (3 years--6 years ago), I never had this issue. What's happens is the knuckle from the back side of my hand is jammed against the glove interior. imgur.com/a/9EpPh (Protrudes outward and upward towards the camera)
          You hold them onto your knuckles using your hand wraps. I usually wrap it once length wise to hold it in place then through the fingers to secure it.

Comment

Working...
          X