No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins schooling younger boxers in his 40's and 50's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard Hopkins schooling younger boxers in his 40's and 50's

Makes me appreciate his talent beating younger boxers like Pavlik, Cloud, Pascal, Murat, and Shumenov.

He never schooled anyone at 50

Comment

Like Teddy Atlas pointed out
      Bernard is from a golden Generation
      That, besides his physical state allowed him to compete for so long among mediocre fighters of today

Comment

Originally posted by RomanReigns View Post
        Makes me appreciate his talent beating younger boxers like Pavlik, Cloud, Pascal, Murat, and Shumenov.
        - -Not exactly a murderers row there, esp the last 3.

Shunenov didn't even employ a corner because Poopkins fights don't pay enough to feed a begger.

When he was 50, Just Another Joe blasted him out of the ring to land flat on his back squallin' like baby for his mama, his last highlight in boxing.

Pitiable, but c'est la vie.

Comment

I have enormous respect for the dedication and hardwork he dedicated to boxing. The only thing that was odd was how tired he look, even after like round 3-4 against Calzaghe. He kept taking 2-3 minute breaks, holding etc. He then went away and came back with a seemingly limitless tank against people much later in his career. What he did to Pavlik and Pascal was incredible to see considering

Comment

Originally posted by Articulateboxin View Post
            I have enormous respect for the dedication and hardwork he dedicated to boxing. The only thing that was odd was how tired he look, even after like round 3-4 against Calzaghe. He kept taking 2-3 minute breaks, holding etc. He then went away and came back with a seemingly limitless tank against people much later in his career. What he did to Pavlik and Pascal was incredible to see considering
            The Calzaghe/Hopkins fight was interesting because outside of the early knockdown, it was a relatively low contact fight. I know Joe is credited with landing more punches on Hopkins than anyone up to that point, but most of it wasn't clean. The fight was more about each guy trying to dictate the tempo he wanted and impose that on the other guy. Calzaghe of course wanting to let his hands go and throw combinations, as opposed to Hopkins trying to limit Joe's output and slow everything down.

I don't think Hopkins after that fight had a "seemingly limitless tank", it's just that he was more able to pick and choose his spots, whereas Calzaghe was constantly forcing him into action. Calzaghe's greatest strength was perhaps his gas tank. Fighting him was as much a calisthenics workout as it was a boxing match.

Comment

Originally posted by TouchyAndalou View Post
              The Calzaghe/Hopkins fight was interesting because outside of the early knockdown, it was a relatively low contact fight. I know Joe is credited with landing more punches on Hopkins than anyone up to that point, but most of it wasn't clean. The fight was more about each guy trying to dictate the tempo he wanted and impose that on the other guy. Calzaghe of course wanting to let his hands go and throw combinations, as opposed to Hopkins trying to limit Joe's output and slow everything down.

I don't think Hopkins after that fight had a "seemingly limitless tank", it's just that he was more able to pick and choose his spots, whereas Calzaghe was constantly forcing him into action. Calzaghe's greatest strength was perhaps his gas tank. Fighting him was as much a calisthenics workout as it was a boxing match.
              It was hard to respect Hopkins given that fight where he had his azz in the air pretending twice to be hit low. And all his dirty tactics. Winky going up in weight later said every time ref was on the other side, Hopkins either hit him in the nuts or elbowed him.

Comment

I feel like Shumenov threw that fight. Pavlik definitely got schooled.

Bernard was tricky enough to beat these younger guys up until he ran into Joe Smith. Finally, age had taken him past the brink and through the ropes he went.

Remember when he pretended to be hurt to get out of the first fight against Chad Dawson? Funny stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by blitted_master View Post
                  Remember when he pretended to be hurt to get out of the first fight against Chad Dawson? Funny stuff.
                  That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Hopkins was like, " this is boxing. This isn't the MMA." Lol

And he tried to bust out the fake tears, but nothing came out.

Comment

Those were all marginal and overrated fighters he "schooled". They were cherry-picked. I give him credit for his conditioning and being able to compete in his 40s, but his style of clinching/grabbing and dirty tactics lends itself to longevity.

Comment

Working...
                    X