No announcement yet.

Differences between English, British, Commonwealth belts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TBear View Post
    The British and commonwealth belts, like their American counterparts, USBA and Nabf belts used to carry a lot more weight than they do now. Now there are so many regional titles it has been deluted a bit..
    Yes, I remember the days when you looked forward to a title fight in the categories mentioned.
    But today, you can add ‘now there are so many world titles it has been deluted (not) a bit (but a lot).’

Defenders of all these belts say the boxers benefit of it, making more money (?) and making them proud, and if that is the case, I accept it.
    But it has certainly been damaging to the sport – I wrote it before, friends of mine not that interested in boxing, taunt me: “isn’t boxing the sport where there are more champions that challengers?”

Quoting a letter to the Sept. issue of The Ring magazine: “My frustration is boiling over to anger at the sport that I love. Only in boxing can we have four or more so-called ‘world champions’ in one weight division. That’s 68 champions in 17 weight classes … Let’s stop chasing the four so-called belts, because the reality is that on the rare occasion that they are unified, the next minute fighters are stripped and we always end up back at square one … [The lineal champion] Once upon a time, we knew who the champion was when he entered the ring, and he did not even have to have a belt around his waist – or several, for that matter.”

Comment

A bit unfair on th. British title because eit still carries alot of weight. Every top young fighter I can think of had to win a British title. Its huge for their career.

Comment

Generally speaking...the commonwealth title is generally fought between british and Australian fighters. I don't recall the last time I heard of a comm title being fought for between other countries in the commonwealth.

Comment

I must admit I enjoy it when a prospect or fighter fairly new to his pro career goes down the British, Commonwealth and Euro route before challenging for World honours.

I love it when someone wins the Lonsdale belt outright.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Im from america but i love the domestic scene in England and europe,,,

I love how england has these big domestic fights like haye-fury and froch-groves...

but i was just wondering what the significants of the English, British, and Commonwealth belts..

I assume some are like the old-school NABF type belts in america,, but looking at british fighters they all seem to start off by winning these belts, and then eventually challenging for the Euro belt,, then a world title,,,

Can someone explain the belts and their history,,, I always liked them because it seems to be a good way to build a fighter....

which belt is the worse and which is the best to win,,,, what were some of the great fights for these belts...

thanks

I haven't been following the game for that long.
            But I did watch fights from time to time over the years.

Once i saw a fight for a title called south area or southern area.
            It was the two worst bums ever. I couldn't believe it was actually televised. They were actual bums.
            It was bum vs bum for a belt of some sort.

The game of boxing is somewhat fascinating.
            Weird though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
              I must admit I enjoy it when a prospect or fighter fairly new to his pro career goes down the British, Commonwealth and Euro route before challenging for World honours.

What is the reason for the rainbow colors?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                It would be cool if being a United States champion was given more attention and respect in the U.S. In terms of press and tv time.

A system where you had state champions who could then challenge for the championship of the entire country could make for a very healthy and vibrant boxing scene.
                Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                100% agree.

The structure we have in our domestic scene is one of the few areas of defined levels we have in all of boxing, its a shame America doesnt put the same stock into its own domestic scene. Probably a symptom of having so many great champions over the years, you kinda forget about the local scene. But its great for prospects to move properly through the levels.

Area title - English/Celtic title - British title - European title

Its a shame many promoters see this route as being too risky nowadays and shuffle their fighters towards BS international, intercontinental, silver, WBO Euro or whatever else they can find in the cesspit that is the ABC title collection.

You two have hit on a symptom involving the decline of boxing skills. In the old days in the United States cities had very robust Amateur events and fighters were distinguished stylistically based upon what cities they hailed from. the European belts functioned in a similar fashion and as said...sometimes carried more weight than other times...

Problem is when fighters get into the fight game so much later, these events are skipped and valuable skill building is lost. Even up to the seventies guys like Doug Jones fought locally in places like Harlem. Many belts became a farm system of sorts, a regional way to start a career as a professional. But really? even before regional belts, up until the 1960s kids were boxing in High School.

What has happened is: what was a fine system starting talent young, has been turned to swiss cheese and disorder. So we have guys belt collecting regional belts, which were designed as a step...it is in effect like the Yankees, after losing to the red sox beating the championship farm team and declaring themselves world champions of another world series.

Its a shame. Its all about big money and trying to rush people through a process that used to be slow and thorough and produced remarkable abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post

Was quite nice seeing a big fight recently between Selby and Warrington...

Selby:

Welsh Area Title-Celtic Title-British Title-Commonwealth Title-European Title and then moved on to world level.

Warrington:

English Title-British Title-Commonwealth Title-European title and then moved on to world level.

Great to see two guys moved properly and now filling a stadium. Not a massive fan of eithers styles (though Warrington is growing on me) but it would be great for the sport if everyone moved like these two through the levels

Comment

The British title is called the 'Lonsdale Belt' and the fighter gets to keep his belt outright if he defends it successfully 3 times. Adds to the prestige of it as not every champion gets to keep his belt.

Comment

Working...
                    X