No announcement yet.

Timing can beat Speed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
    Exactly! You shouldn't become predictable with anything in boxing. Upper body movement, punch rhythm, etc.
    I want to add a little more to this. I was shadowboxing this morning (no, I won't post a vid ) and it occurred to me that maybe the reason that guys fall into a rhythm is that they are always throwing as fast as they can. Which, in a way, makes sense, but if you're throwing at top speed all the time, it's really easy to get locked into a rhythm. I have a tendency to "float" my right hook (southpaw), to kind of let it drift a hair slower, especially after a couple of hard jabs; if my opponent anticipates it and goes to parry, sometimes he'll be all the way back into his guard when it connects and I'll land a nice one over his ear. I have to "pull" it when it lands (lean back or sidestep and crack the whip), because it's not as "quick." Make sense?

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean. I try to go normal speed and out of nowhere go as fast as I can. Like 1 slow jab to body then 2 fast to the head.

Comment

Working...
      X