This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    It was shopping for the perfect guy to beat and he found him. Ruiz was horrible. there was no way he could touch Jones and Jones knew it.

Ruiz's manager Stoney threw more punches during a typical Jawney fight than Ruiz did!
    Funny and every word true.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      Funny and every word true.
      Stoney reminded me of Billy Martin. Loved that man as a kid. Just like these days with Trump, the press was trying to destroy Billy and would rangle SteinBreiner... But Lo and Behold the Yankees kept winning. And As cross as Martin could be... He would take the time to sign autographs for us. It meant so much for us. I never saw him act anything but kind to a kid...Not saying I would have wanted to be the Marshmellow salesman that he decked... but Billy was the real deal. I imagine Stoney is similar in the gym... Will punch out the slosh bucket guy, but has a twinkle in his eyes for the fans.

Comment

--- Stoney was 100% Blowhard who couldn't fight his way out of a bag of popcorn, but by gum, by golly, he'd throw down anyway if you crossed Ruiz.

Now Billy's reputation was such that he got serious offers to turn pro from the fight biz.

He smartly understood he was too undisciplined for the ring and declined for more fun than a barrel of monkeys with baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          I always take this accomplishment with a grain of salt. It feels like there should be an asterisk in the history books.

He beat John Ruiz for an alphabet trinket. It's not like he beat the legit best heavyweight in the world.
          same applies to vitali and wlad too, so they trinket warriors in your eyes.

for me the biggest issue with jones, like vitali, is his probable juicing for one fight at least.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
            Not really. Roy went up to heavyweight for one fight and cherry picked the worst possible "champion" to go after.

I'm not a big fan of the Klits but they at least took on all comers and ruled the division for years and years.

Comment

for me the biggest issue with jones, like vitali, is his probable juicing for one fight at least.

--- Biggest issue is you have provided no proof either of yourself on PEDs nor Vitali.

C'mon, don't be shy!
              Last edited by QueensburyRules; 12-30-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Not really. Roy went up to heavyweight for one fight and cherry picked the worst possible "champion" to go after.
                true he cherrypicked. but "cherrypickin" a HW when you are a MW is an almost comical statement of self ridicule for the person writing it, you are aware of that arent you?
                Its like something Monty Python would write. I'd personally not wirte that he cherrypicked. I'd say he took the best fight available, writing cherrypick would be embarrassing.

I'm not a big fan of the Klits but they at least took on all comers and ruled the division for years and years.
                they continually didnt fight one of the best for their entire HW career, same as jones HW career he didnt once either. thats what i mean.
                Last edited by DreamFighter; 12-30-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  --- Biggest issue is you have provided no proof either of yourself on PEDs nor Vitali.

C'mon, don't be shy!
                  lol me? i never did PEDs. too much sugar when younger though, that was my generations mistake.

yuh vitali and jones both got caught once, equally culpable, but given that they were never caught again its possible they made mistakes that one time. But cheating is by far bigger sin than cherrypicking.

Comment

true he cherrypicked. but "cherrypickin" a HW when you are a MW is an almost comical statement of self ridicule for the person writing it, you are aware of that arent you?
                    Its like something Monty Python would write. I'd personally not wirte that he cherrypicked. I'd say he took the best fight available, writing cherrypick would be embarrassing.
                    Some people want this accomplishment of Roy's to be seen as something monumental. I'm just pointing out that it has to be put in context, Roy went after the very worst belt holder. And John Ruiz was historically terrible as far as heavyweight belt holders go.

It's not like when Stanley Ketchel was middleweight champ and went after Jack Johnson for example.

Hell, I was even more impressed when James Toney moved up to heavyweight and stopped Evander Holyfield.

Comment

Some people want this accomplishment of Roy's to be seen as something monumental. I'm just pointing out that it has to be put in context, Roy went after the very worst belt holder. And John Ruiz was historically terrible as far as heavyweight belt holders go.

It's not like when Stanley Ketchel was middleweight champ and went after Jack Johnson for example.

Hell, I was even more impressed when James Toney moved up to heavyweight and stopped Evander Holyfield.
                      he sure didnt want no milk for that win.

But no I cant rate beating a prime weak titlist less than beating a 40something, though we are taking small margins.

Its not like Jones waited for decades for a weak titlist to arrive atHW like joe calzaghe waiting for jones and hopkins to turn 40, or like anyo of the goons roy faced in his 40s that were queuing up to get his name on their resumes.
                      Last edited by DreamFighter; 12-30-2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X