No announcement yet.

The Babadook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Babadook

I know the forum has been flooded with quite a few movie reviews/discussions but I recently stumbled across a movie that has captivated my attention in more ways than one.

Now I am not saying this is the best movie of the year or a life changer but it is a very well developed movie that brings a breath of fresh air to a sugar-coated genre. The Babadook is a horror/thriller that might not produce the jump and scares you will normally expect from such a movie, but it will give you something to think about.

I have watched it on 3 separate occasions and with each I find a new way to enjoy it. There is a bit of everything but the main emotions that the movie executes quite effectively is sadness, anger and the feeling of depression. Being an indie Australian movie(or a lack of resources due to low budget) might be a primary reason behind the focus on such a deep development of the characters on screen, which is a plus in my book.

The story centres around a child and his widowed mother dealing with a dark force that plagues their lives and encourages a separation between the two. Odd events follow the finding and reading of a mysterious book that told the story if Mister Babadook, an entity that haunts those whom become aware of its existence. The more an individual denies his presence, the stronger and more aggressive it becomes.

The movie provides a few scares but not in the manner in which the mainstream horror movies have accustomed us to. The way in which it builds and shrivels suspense is quite intense, in moments you expect something to jump out or a loud thud to occur, nothing happens. The unease at times makes the movie that much more thrilling.

I know this movie won't be for everyone but I suggest you give it a shot if you are interested in indie, odd or a general fan of the horror/suspense genre. On one of the occasions i watched the movie with a few people and the experience was just ok. On the second time around I watched it on my own and I grasped to the movie on an entirely new level, I began to understand the depression/anger/pain the characters portray. On my 3rd go around I saw unintentional comedic relief on many of the scenes. With all that said I really think this movie having potential to become the next great cult movie, it really has all the elements to solidify itself as one.

Now, have you seen it? Are you interested? Thoughts? Share and discuss.

I loved it.
    Not an ATG, but it was quite original and the acting from the mother and boy were great.
    The issue of the dead dad and his outfit were very interesting. Was the Babadook a manifestation of him?

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
      I loved it.
      Not an ATG, but it was quite original and the acting from the mother and boy were great.
      The issue of the dead dad and his outfit were very interesting. Was the Babadook a manifestation of him?
      I believe it's a manifestation of the depression his memories bring to the Mother and child. It's quite astonishing how well thought out this movie was.

By the way, will it achieve cult status or not? Interested to see what you think.

Comment

I almost watched this the other day but i backed out assuming it was just a generic horror flick.

Comment

I thought it was fookin awesome film,definitely recommend watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
            I almost watched this the other day but i backed out assuming it was just a generic horror flick.
            Far from it. I think the movie's perception depends on the manner an individual approaches it. Try watching it with an open mind and don't expect your run of the mill horror style of "Loud sound and sudden apparition". You never know, it might just be your cup of tea

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
              Far from it. I think the movie's perception depends on the manner an individual approaches it. Try watching it with an open mind and don't expect your run of the mill horror style of "Loud sound and sudden apparition". You never know, it might just be your cup of tea
              Yeah man, i'm gonna give it a go.
              It was just the synopsis made me think it was a ghost under the bed kind of deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
                I believe it's a manifestation of the depression his memories bring to the Mother and child. It's quite astonishing how well thought out this movie was.

By the way, will it achieve cult status or not? Interested to see what you think.
                I cant tell what will become a cult classic. Im not sure if its popular enough, or if it ever will be.
                Cult stuff is usually so bad its good, or really unusual films. Im not sure if this one is unique enough.
                But of all the crap horror films released, this should of got more attention.
                **** the conjuring!

Comment

Never heard of this film before, but I'm definitely going to check it out now. Thanks carnal, I'll let you know my opinion on it after I watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by VAGAB0ND View Post
                    Never heard of this film before, but I'm definitely going to check it out now. Thanks carnal, I'll let you know my opinion on it after I watch it.
                    Go for it, Ojala te guste.

Comment

Working...
                    X