No announcement yet.

Roberto Duran ATG? Give me a break..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andyreww View Post
    It's pretty grim, I guess you have to think he's amazing, or you can't be part of the forum.

And no, it wasn't a troll in the slightest, maybe my taste to "pure boxing" runs over to that, I don't enjoy his style and imo he wasnt an ATG, many agree, most disagree

It's fine.
    so duran shouldnt be ATG based off of your opinion and favoritism for "pure boxers"???

oh boy....

Comment

Rofl, I forgot, all boxers from from that era are automatically awarded with a 6 round headstart.
      Yes, Muhammad Ali's era from 10 years earlier is automatically awarded a 6 round head start.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
        Duran wasnt even close to a...'slugger'. He was primarily a counter puncher, who was a master at infighting and defense as well.

Heres a list of his accomplishments
        http://aaboxing.blogspot.com/2011/05...rto-duran.html

Just give it a try and watch Duran vs Barkley. You cant 'outslug' someone thats way bigger and stronger than you. And considering Barkley had success all the way up to Heavyweight, Id consider him a pretty damn large middleweight.

By the way, the guy wasnt just 1 era. His last significant win came in 1997, while Hopkins was fighting at middleweight.
        You can't compare him to the likes of Mayweather JR or Roy Jones JR for slipping punches and boxing ability.

Duran won his fights through heart and determination and being tough, I never said he wasn't I said in my opinion he's not technically a great boxer. Lenoard and Hearns from that era possibly the 2 greatest of all time.

I think it's wrong to assume that fighters of that era would dominate fighters of this era it's a completely different fight.

Comment

Originally posted by waxfondler View Post
          so duran shouldnt be ATG based off of your opinion and favoritism for "pure boxers"???

oh boy....
          IN MY OPINION HE SHOULDNT.

not FACT duran shouldnt be there, I stated my opinion, you have yours.

I didn't ask for you to agree or try and get durans name tarnished did I?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            Yes, Muhammad Ali's era from 10 years earlier is automatically awarded a 6 round head start.
            Muhammad ali was boxing in the 60's mate.

Comment

Muhammad ali was boxing in the 60's mate.
              He was boxing in the 80s. He was the best heavyweight in the world in the late 70s. He became champ in the 60s.

Comment

I think it's wrong to assume that fighters of that era would dominate fighters of this era it's a completely different fight.
                You're the only one who's assuming: Assuming that fighters from THIS era would dominate fighters from previous eras.

Poet

Comment

You can't compare him to the likes of Mayweather JR or Roy Jones JR for slipping punches and boxing ability.

Duran won his fights through heart and determination and being tough, I never said he wasn't I said in my opinion he's not technically a great boxer. Lenoard and Hearns from that era possibly the 2 greatest of all time.

Barkley had huge amounts of heart and toughness. Watch is fights against Hearns. You dont win a fight by being tough and having heart when the other guy has both, and is way bigger and stronger than you.

Watch from 7:19 on. Dont comment again until you have. Thats defense.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    You're the only one who's assuming: Assuming that fighters from THIS era would dominate fighters from previous eras.

Poet
                    Where have I said fighters from this era would dominate?

Mayweather vs Leonard would be an amazing fight to watch in my opinion, but I bet in your opinion its a 1st round knockout for leonard.

Comment

Which is better?

Or

Comment

Working...
                      X