Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will big fights ever occasionally be non ppv again?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will big fights ever occasionally be non ppv again?

Was it me or in the past even big stars had the occasional fight off PPV for the fans? Oscar used to do this, Jones Jr...if it wasnt vs a big name opponent they still aired fight on HBO.

Now it seems like even if the opponent isnt really big or legitimately a threat is still always PPV for certain fighters..

Depends what you consider a big fight. Manny and Floyd will always be PPV and fighters that reach that kind of level will always cost extra. To me a fight like Bradley/Alexander or JMM/Katsidis are PPV level fights but they will be shown on regular HBO.

Comment

Keep dreamin.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post
        Was it me or in the past even big stars had the occasional fight off PPV for the fans? Oscar used to do this, Jones Jr...if it wasnt vs a big name opponent they still aired fight on HBO.

Now it seems like even if the opponent isnt really big or legitimately a threat is still always PPV for certain fighters..
        Sort of depends on what you consider a big fight. The really big fights have long been on either PPV or closed circuit.

Once De La Hoya became a PPV seller, all his big fights were on PPV. There were some smaller fights of his on regular HBO. Jones wasn't a PPV attraction so most of his fights were on regular HBO.

With Pacquiao and Mayweather, the only way now their fights would be on regular HBO would be if they are fighting ****ty, undermatched opponents. So that's something we don't want.

Comment

I think it will only if there are more PPV events to begin with.

I was surprised Margarito-Mosley was on free HBO, as well as the first Marquez- Dias fight.

Hopkins-Calzaghe and Taylor-Wright from a few years ago could have done some pretty good numbers, but was free.

The reason why Mosley-Mora and Diaz-Marquez can get away with being PPV events is because there really wasn't very many this year. There were only 2 HBO PPV events this year and there will be one more with Pac-Margarito.

Comment

I hope so because I hate paying $60 to watch a fight. I always buy fights that I'm really interested in but I cant afford to do that **** every month. I see too many fights that are not PPV worthy being put on PPV lately and that is not a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post

DLH and RJJ were on HBO welfare, that's why they couldn't fight ppvs all the time. Pac and Top Rank can do PPVs without HBO and still make a profit.

Comment

Working...
              X