Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Family of Prichard Colon Sue Promoters, Doctor For $50 Million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt anyone would take the blame for this, they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that everyone was negligent. And it's difficult to prove that. I hope they get the closure they want , as it is just too hard to accept what is going on for them right now.

Comment

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/story/_...ore-50-million

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
        unless they can prove gross negligence, this will go nowhere...

Boxing needs to regulate foulling better...letting it be up to the ref in this type of sport is dumb as fu(k......
        No, they would have to prove negligence; in this situation the onus will be on the defendant to show that other people in their profession would make the same decision.

Gross negligence applies in situations where the defendant would be criminally liable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          I doubt anyone would take the blame for this, they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that everyone was negligent. And it's difficult to prove that. I hope they get the closure they want , as it is just too hard to accept what is going on for them right now.
          Again, no. Criminal law the standard of proof is beyond a reasonable doubt. In civil law it is the balance of probabilities.

I don't know whether their claim will be successful but I think it is more likely that there will be a settlement. Certainty for the family and avoiding bad PR for the defendants.

Comment

was this fight removed from youtube? cant find it. but I doubt this lawsuit goes anywhere. fighters get rabbit punched all the time and never end up in a coma. i agree that rabbit punching should be penalized quicker and more aggressively though. maidana should've been DQ'd in the first floyd fight. but nobody gave a sht because floyd needed to lose at all cost. two rabbit punches should be enough. now if the other guy turns his head then fck it. let it slide. this sht is sad but $50 mill? come on. they should also be suing colons trainer for not saving his fighter.

Comment

Watch youtube and see how many rabbit punches landed ...I counted 43 rabbit punches. When colon complained about it the ref told him YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, that's called negligence. When he complained that his head hurt and he was dizzy the doctor allowed him to continue to fight, that's called negligence. When a fighter complains of dizziness or his head hurting the doctor has to immediately call off the fight. Those officials sucked and the ref was clearly not trying to take any points from Williams

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMan93 View Post
                Do you really think you are entitled to FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS for this!?!?

Its a horrible situation but come on you are not entitles to 50 million dollars.
                That's par for the course in the suing game. There is always a multipier on how much reasonable people think a situation would be worth & how much cats sue for. And sh^t sometimes people get it or more so fair play there.

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                How in the world can the promoters be responsible?
                Yea idk how the promoters are part of this at all. I think they are getting bad advice or they are thinking $$$ & settlements. And maybe there is a reason they can't sue the state commission cuz the state commission would seem like where you'd aim.

I also want to say that placing 50,000 or a 100,000 insurance policy for fighters is not enough. There should be a payout premium capable of a couple million dollars. Pay more and get the proper insurance. All jurisdictions should follow NY and force promoters to pay for higher levels of insurance.
                Agree.

Idk if things should follow NY exactly cuz it does seem to have hurt the number of shows in NY that I've seen as a cat in NY (its pretty much major shows & that's it now, its more or less stopped the club boxing show/non-TV fight world in NY) so I think there should be a healthier median found, but for sure if something f#cked up goes down in the ring then some sort of measures should be getting set up before this stuff happens to not put boxers & their families in a awful personal situation + a dire financial situation.

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                I don't know whether their claim will be successful but I think it is more likely that there will be a settlement. Certainty for the family and avoiding bad PR for the defendants.
                Yea I'm sure the aim is a settlement. But I think they are gonna fail cuz they aimed the legal gun at the wrong people. You need a certain amount of fault here + the money to throw out a worthwhile settlement & idk that that's the case with any of the groups being sued.

I'm not sure why the promoters would be sued at all. And I think if you go the doctor route you'd wanna lay the lawsuit on the door of the more financially secure government controlled state boxing commission over a specific doctor on that commission cuz the bank account of a specific doctor doesn't got sh^t on what the government gots in theirs.

Originally posted by future hendrixx View Post
                they should also be suing colons trainer for not saving his fighter.
                People always say this or say blame trainers, but I never understand it all that much. Trainers got their own job they are trying to accomplish. The ref, ringside doctors & overall commissions specific jobs include saving a fighter from danger & himself. I mean why do we even need commissions if not partially if not mainly for the safety angle of 1)not letting guys in the ring who shouldn't be in the ring & 2)safe the cats in the ring who aren't in any shape to continue. I mean otherwise you could just throw Joey from down the street into the ring & have him ref it & we can just use a commission to judge the fight or pick some mfers outta the audience who are unaffiliated or something like that to do it lol.

And I bet trainers see random sh^t happening in fights all the times that they don't even grasp to be a problem or a sign of a problem could be near. Hell most of the fans thought watching this fight as I recall it was saying Colon was just being a b^tch & trying to milk the situation here. So its not like it was clear visually without question that there was a problem that one doesn't encounter in the ring normally or in a rough fight.

I assume that's why the doctor specifically is being sued cuz Colon gave him more info then he gave his corner or the ref, during & after the fight about his symptoms, that the doctor didn't pick up on that he shoulda picked up on + the doctor is the only one who's been trained to come to some conclusion from those symptoms that he didn't assess correctly.

If anything I'd guess they will alter this before it actually gets to court to suing the VA boxing commission as they are ultimately the ones who put all the parties who handled the fighters safety during this fight into those positions + its highly unlikely this doctor is even a millionaire to be able to offer a respectable settlement let alone the full $50M. Although idk if some some of ringside doctor malpractice insurance type deal would cover this sorta situation or not truth be told so maybe I'm off here.
                Last edited by Eff Pandas; 05-04-2017, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Hope his family gets every nickle. Watch the ESPN piece on Colon and how he is doing today. Enough to make you tear up.

Comment

They may as well be suing Joe Calzaghe. Bizarre lawsuit directed at the wrong party entirely.

Comment

I remember this about and if he sues anyone should be his Corner who should have stopped this fight two rounds earlier, he was taking a beating and didn't know how to react... they're looking for a settlement on the 50 mil...

Comment

Working...
                      X