No announcement yet.

Headgear banned from AIBA etc...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headgear banned from AIBA etc...

Headgear banned from AIBA to reduce the risk of head injuries.
    What do you guys think of that?

I´m not allowed to post URLs to other sites.
    But if you guys just search for headgear banned in boxing then it will show up (dailymail).

Originally posted by Zray View Post

But if you guys just search for headgear banned in boxing then it will show up (dailymail).
    I think its a good decision... If you have boxed with headgear and without it,you will notice the difference.
    The headgear still applies to under 18s and women.
    With headgear, when you sweat,it adds to the pressure and weight on your head, this is Also dangerous for kids., take into account the amount of times headgear gets in the way with fixing it and all that...

Without headgear, ya you are more prone to cuts,bumps and all that, but their is less chance (not none) of multiple concussions taken place due to the head been pressurised in headgear

Comment

Originally posted by Zray View Post

So basically amateur boxing is turning pro...

Comment

I think that it is a horrible idea..........

Comment

I like it.

It's a return to how amateurs used to fight back in the day. Cassius Clay, Frazier, Foreman, and Sugar Ray Leonard all won their Olympic gold medals without headgear.

It wasn't until 1983 that they started to require it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
            So basically amateur boxing is turning pro...
            What makes you think that?
            Headgear wasn't always in the amateur's

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
              What makes you think that?
              Headgear wasn't always in the amateur's
              I guess I am thinking more for kids because thats my focus. Also the idea of pros fighting in the olympics pisses me off

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
                I think its a good decision... If you have boxed with headgear and without it,you will notice the difference.
                The headgear still applies to under 18s and women.
                With headgear, when you sweat,it adds to the pressure and weight on your head, this is Also dangerous for kids., take into account the amount of times headgear gets in the way with fixing it and all that...

Without headgear, ya you are more prone to cuts,bumps and all that, but their is less chance (not none) of multiple concussions taken place due to the head been pressurised in headgear
                Research source?

Comment

Also, if anyone has actually fought without headgear, I think you would find alot more people prefer that its gone, you might get a cut or an extra bump, but you feel alot more freely and less restricted, especially after taking a punch and the headgear moves...or if you give a punch and the headgear moves and your rhythm is interrupted because the other fella has to fix his headgear.....

Comment

Originally posted by KillaCamNZ View Post
                    Research source?
                    I write an assignment mentioning this In collage, the assignment was about dementia pugilistic and I came across a few things, I can send you some sources in a few days if you would like, but you could just as easily find it with a quick google...
                    But I would suggest to you to watch the documentary "after the last round"
                    It is not just about dementia and they also discuss how headgear should not be I the amateurs ( this was before they got rid of the headgear) and how in fact it causes more damage to kids,as they have smaller muscles in their neck, so when when they take a punch,the headgear restricts the natural movement of the brain when taking a punch,add to that the added weight on their head and the pressure it causes........

Getting rid of the headgear does not cause more KOs or anything like that, the only difference is you get a lil bit more cut up, but you don't have to deal with the added pressure (weight) on your head.......
                    Their are plenty of sources online, ,and studies and statistics to back up the need to get rid of headgear... Like i said have a look at "after the last round" youl find it on youtube, its a great documentary on the effects of boxing that I think anyone who wants to box should watch before they start to know what they are getting into

Comment

Working...
                    X