Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has won the most professional Heavyweight fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has won the most professional Heavyweight fights?

I would like to know out of curiosity. I know that Len Wickwar holds the record for the most professional fights won (340). I also know that Archie Moore is well known for winning a huge amount of professional fights (186). However, non of Lens fights were in the Heavyweight devision and not all of Archie’s fights were in the heavyweight devision.

Who has won the most professional fights in history counting only fights in the heavyweight devision?

Also, who has fought the greatest number of heavyweight fights, perhaps this would be the same person?

I guess you have to be a semi-scrub to hold such a record.

Comment

I don't really know... but if I were to take a guess, I would say that Sam Langford might be the answer to both questions.

Comment

The heavyweight division is a category on it's own. There are no weight limitation so the participants weight is meaningless. It is an "open class" void of limitation.
        If a boxing federation wants to sanction a "heavyweight title fight" and the fighters weigh in at 173 and 169 it's still a heavyweight fight.

I would agree that Langford most likely holds that honor.

Langford stood about 5'7" and gave away 20 to 60 pounds competing as a heavyweight. Probably the most feared man in the history of boxing.

Ray

Comment

I have to concur, Langford springs to mind. Not sure about anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
            I don't really know... but if I were to take a guess, I would say that Sam Langford might be the answer to both questions.
            I just want to say that as far as answering this question, the poster I am responding to, along with a few other posters, Bundana... is an opinion I would trust implicitly and with no caveats. This is a very hard question to answer and there might be guys unknown to conventional fans even... Just a lot harder to tackle than it looks at first glance.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              I just want to say that as far as answering this question, the poster I am responding to, along with a few other posters, Bundana... is an opinion I would trust implicitly and with no caveats. This is a very hard question to answer and there might be guys unknown to conventional fans even... Just a lot harder to tackle than it looks at first glance.
              You need to raid Hank Kaplan's museum of documents to get the answer on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordlozz View Post
                ... who has fought the greatest number of heavyweight fights, perhaps this would be the same person?
                ... John L. Sullivan???

Comment

They can't snatch this one up.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    You need to raid Hank Kaplan's museum of documents to get the answer on this.
                    Lol, there are obscurities for sure..and people who know of them. there was another poster here who had a knack for that and I forget his pen name and of course...the great Hassup who would be another voice to weigh in on this.

Comment

Working...
                    X