No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins craving super fight before retirement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard Hopkins craving super fight before retirement

This video is interesting... He says his last 'super fight' was against De La Hoya so obviously doesn't place Taylor, Tarver, Calzaghe fights on that magnitude. I think this points to a potential Andre Ward fight in the future, who else could give Hopkins a super fight? Maybe if he looks towards the heavyweights

I'm a Ward fan but not even that would be a "Super Fight"

Comment

Originally posted by AgainstTheRopes View Post
      I'm a Ward fan but not even that would be a "Super Fight"
      You're right, it wouldn't. Ward needs more star power.

Comment

Originally posted by richccfc View Post
        this video is interesting... He says his last 'super fight' was against de la hoya so obviously doesn't place taylor, tarver, calzaghe fights on that magnitude. I think this points to a potential andre ward fight in the future, who else could give hopkins a super fight? Maybe if he looks towards the heavyweights

if he's talking about a big pay day with a big crowd and ppv numbers, the only one by his weight is chavez jr. Other then that there is no super fight like that if he's talking in the sense.

Comment

Good shout with Chavez, totally forgot about him.

Comment

He'd have to fight a Klitschko. lol Even that wouldn't touch the hype around the Oscar fight.

Comment

There is no 'super fight' left for him. There are no more superstars in this sport apart from Mayweather. The best he can hope for is a showdown with someone like Ward or the winner of Froch/Kessler 2. Unless he plans to stick around until such a superstar shows up in or around his own weightclass. In which case he'll be over 60 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC
                This video is interesting... He says his last 'super fight' was against De La Hoya so obviously doesn't place Taylor, Tarver, Calzaghe fights on that magnitude. I think this points to a potential Andre Ward fight in the future, who else could give Hopkins a super fight? Maybe if he looks towards the heavyweights

hell no!! Hopkins made it a point after the cloud fight to tell Ward they were "brothers" Hopkins doesn't want any of that

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

who's a big enough star to be a super fight for him?
                  nobody at 168-175 has that kinda marketability
                  the best he can hope for is Froch after he beats Kessler again
                  that's just a good fight, nowhere near a big event
                  Hopkins isn't a huge star himself, he's just boxing royalty
                  you love to watch him now to see if he can pull off another one

Comment

Had he got the nod against Taylor and was still champ that Tarver fight would have been a super fight no doubt, but Taylor winning made it come up inches short.

The only way he gets his wish though is if he beats Puret, Froch, avenges Dawson loss, and then fights Ward. Thats really the only way I see it happening. I mean if Dawson loses again its still possible he doesn't need that rematch but he can't be in a super fight as a light heavyweight with Dawson still around at the top.

Dawson doesn't even really want to fight him again. Thats a big obstacle itself never the less getting a fight with Ward to happen when Hopkins himself refuses, so he better hope somebody lands a lucky punch on Ward and Froch takes over or its not happening. Huge B-Hop fan but a super fight I just cant see happening.

Comment

Working...
                    X