No announcement yet.

Best Fighters in the Game - Adjustments and Styles / name yours

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Fighters in the Game - Adjustments and Styles / name yours

I’ll start off with Usyk. Amazing performance against Gassiev. Coaster against Bellew the same way Canelo did against Khan. I don’t know why some fans said Usyk was “exposed” against Bellew. Not even close. Usyk was carrying Bellew let’s be honest. Usyk gradually started overpowering Bellew after the 4th and Tony just couldn’t focus while being tagged harder each round. For me Usyk is one the best styles to watch. I say he beats Parker and Povetkin by UD. Therefore, imho Usyk deserves proper contention against the current Champs. A fun Southpaw to watch.

Kovalev. Even though many people didn’t want to talk about his just 1 VADA test in January compared to Eleider’s 2, Kovalev fought smarter than his previous fight. Eleider looked good, well paced in the earlier rounds, same as the first, but Kovalev boosted workrate as rounds advanced and overcame stamina from the middle of the fight. That was the Kovalev that fought Ward 1.

Pacquiao. Good old PAC. Regardless of his KOs diminishing, his subtle way of fighting nowadays makes it look like he isn’t challenged. And yes, he was robbed against Horn.

Canelo Alvarez. A fighter who defaults to pure boxing fundamentals when fighting upper elite opponents like Mayweather and Cotto. At times when Cotto seemed hurt Canelo didn’t take advantage in pressing forward, instead just coasted, carried for a points game. Canelo lost to Floyd. No Mexican of any era would OUTBOX a Mayweather style. Had Canelo ditched fundamentals and fought like Maidana it would have been a different story.

Gennady Golovkin. Another boxer who can default or change styles. We all know GGG is very well composed with defensive discipline. Had GGG been with a different trainer and different management he would have already been a 2 weight Champion long ago.

I want to add Fury and Wilder, but I’ll let others ...

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
    I’ll start off with Usyk. Amazing performance against Gassiev. Coaster against Bellew the same way Canelo did against Khan. I don’t know why some fans said Usyk was “exposed” against Bellew. Not even close. Usyk was carrying Bellew let’s be honest. Usyk gradually started overpowering Bellew after the 4th and Tony just couldn’t focus while being tagged harder each round. For me Usyk is one the best styles to watch. I say he beats Parker and Povetkin by UD. Therefore, imho Usyk deserves proper contention against the current Champs. A fun Southpaw to watch.

Kovalev. Even though many people didn’t want to talk about his just 1 VADA test in January compared to Eleider’s 2, Kovalev fought smarter than his previous fight. Eleider looked good, well paced in the earlier rounds, same as the first, but Kovalev boosted workrate as rounds advanced and overcame stamina from the middle of the fight. That was the Kovalev that fought Ward 1.

Pacquiao. Good old PAC. Regardless of his KOs diminishing, his subtle way of fighting nowadays makes it look like he isn’t challenged. And yes, he was robbed against Horn.

Canelo Alvarez. A fighter who defaults to pure boxing fundamentals when fighting upper elite opponents like Mayweather and Cotto. At times when Cotto seemed hurt Canelo didn’t take advantage in pressing forward, instead just coasted, carried for a points game. Canelo lost to Floyd. No Mexican of any era would OUTBOX a Mayweather style. Had Canelo ditched fundamentals and fought like Maidana it would have been a different story.

Gennady Golovkin. Another boxer who can default or change styles. We all know GGG is very well composed with defensive discipline. Had GGG been with a different trainer and different management he would have already been a 2 weight Champion long ago.

I want to add Fury and Wilder, but I’ll let others ...
    I think that's a pretty good list. Even though I'm not a fan of Canelo he or/and his team came up with a better fight strategy in the rematch and he stuck to it.

Comment

Terence Crawford against Viktor Postol. Crawford figured out early that if he forced Postol to lead he would have no clue how to fight him. He was constantly moving laterally, Postol just was following him around, bringing Viktor out his comfort zone and he was throwing way less punches as a result. Almost very single round was Crawford circling the outside of the ring, Postol barely throwing and occasionally Crawford would catch him with a straight left hand or a right hook. Pretty boring but it was genius tactically.
      Last edited by pillowfists98; 02-21-2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Bivol, GGG, Canelo, Inoue and Spence are my favorites and I think they are the best in the world for their weight. I like them just the way they are but I wish GGG was 10 years younger. In my opinion GGG never lost a fight but old age is creeping up on him.

Comment

Working...
        X