Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Ortiz have a shot at the upset?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

of course he does. he's left handed and he's probably the second or third hardest puncher in boxing. had wilde rhurt in fight 1. wilder is wide open for a left hand counter.

all of that said it's still a garbage pay per view. action fight, garbage pay per view. 10 years ago this fihght would be laughed at as a pay per view.

i'll stream it. no way i'm paying 80 bucks for this. if the undercard was good looking i'd consider it, but that **** will put me to sleep and i'll probably leave my house and come home for the main instead. omar figeuroa's brother? luis nery against a guy coming off of a second round knockout loss? LSC against a scrub whose last opponent was coming off of four losses? the f#ck ?? the dude lost his two biggest fights to chris f#cking avalos and dat nuygen .\ santa cruz' opponent is not even in the top 100! crazy talk

no thank you, AL!

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      He took Wilder’s power about as well as anyone, early on. But when you’ve gone 9+ rounds, it’s tough to stay on your feet eating them bombs. Ortiz looked like he went down in the tenth just as much from exhaustion as from the force of the blows. He has to get to Deontay early. The longer the fight goes, the less likely we see an upset.
      Yep, took them well for a while until Wilder landed that big counter shot and Ortiz was done after that. He also was tired which is no surprise as most HWs late in fights do gas out.

Well, Ortiz looks to be in GREAT shape, but I wonder if he may have over-trained a bit? Don't know if at the age of 40 it is smart to change it up this way but hey knows, maybe it does help him late in the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
        He does but the problem is, he fought the best fight of his life the first time and still lost.. the chances of him repeating such performance is slim.

Ortiz has to be perfect whereas Wilder only has to land one punch.

ortiz has one punch power himself. he's just slow. it's all about delivery. if he wasn't left handed this would be even more of a long shot. big lefties are all playing baseball, even the cubans. they're ultra rare. you can count the left handed HW with real power in all of history on one or two hands.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
          Yep, took them well for a while until Wilder landed that big counter shot and Ortiz was done after that. He also was tired which is no surprise as most HWs late in fights do gas out.

Well, Ortiz looks to be in GREAT shape, but I wonder if he may have over-trained a bit? Don't know if at the age of 40 it is smart to change it up this way but hey knows, maybe it does help him late in the fight.

that man is 50 years old

Comment

Originally posted by johnbook View Post
            Actually there was an earlier KD that was ruled a slip. Watch it closely or in slomo. Wilder hit him with a very short very fact punch. Too fast you might say and awesome.
            You can be sure Ortiz knows...
            Not sure about the slip. Maybe you’re right. But there was the legit knockdown in the fifth. The bell rang right after, so we can’t know what Ortiz’s exact condition was at that moment. But Luis wasn’t sparked, and he took several big shots later without going down. In the tenth, he just didn’t have the wind to take any more punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              that man is 50 years old
              And he was what 49 years old last year when he fought him and almost beat him?

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                Not sure about the slip. Maybe you’re right. But there was the legit knockdown in the fifth. The bell rang right after, so we can’t know what Ortiz’s exact condition was at that moment. But Luis wasn’t sparked, and he took several big shots later without going down. In the tenth, he just didn’t have the wind to take any more punishment.
                Several times after he was shook by Wilder, Ortiz had a sick look on his face. Including the "slip".
                I believe t's because maybe it never happened to him before. He was hurt several times by punches he never saw nor knew where they came from. Look for that look.

Comment

correct. 1 year when you're 40 is not equal to 1 year when you're 49. in your late 40's your traditional "trappings" which allow HW to go longer in their careers, like power and chin, go quick. wheres in your late 30's yoy may very well punch as hard as you did in your prime.

Comment

Ortiz lost that last fight because when his chance came he could not finish it. He had Wilder hurt badly. You have to look at Wilder's face when Ortiz found the mark...Wilder was praying to jesus at that point trying to stay away...

To his credit he got the same chance and Ortiz could not whether the storm.

These fights have a way of making a mockery of logic and common sense. I bet we see a fight go to the cards this time and Wilder is the judges favorite... And that is going to be how this fight plays out.

Human beings don't like conflict, and we don't like suprises. These guys are going to fight a careful fight. If Ortiz really wants to win this he has to be willing to lose it...and i do not see it. Wilder for his part? jut has to make it to the finish line and the judges will do the rest.

Yes Ortiz has a chance...But he has to be more willing than he probably is, and take that chance.

Comment

I watched a Joe Rogan interview with MMA star Yoel Romero the other day. Romero says he knew Ortiz in Cuba. The interview took place before the first fight, and Yoel said he thought Ortiz was 40 or 41 at the time. Luis was still listed at 38. So, if Romero is right, Ortiz is now 42 or 43.

Comment

Working...
                      X