Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Mike Tyson have been a better or worse fighter if he used Toney’s style ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    A freight train is a good description of the original Rock's punching power, before the nickname was even used in wrestling by Rocky Johnson or Don Muraco. Have you seen either of the Rocky Marciano TV movies, one called Marciano with Tony Lo Bianco and the other Rocky Marciano with Jon Favreau, which Lo Bianco is also in. Your post just reminded me of the Favreau version from 1996 where Goldman is asked by Al Weill how good Rocky is and after mentioning his shortcomings says that he has "a punch like a fallen safe. If I were you, I'd sign him immediately."
    I havent. I will take a look sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
      Aye, Rocky was a true full-sized superheavyweight crammed into a 178-190 pound frame.
      When I found that site for Tunney I read most of the articles, they were short, no biggie. Tunney was of the opinion that a man 190 pounds was enough to fight any weight opponent. I don't agree with that but it is interesting how that question was answered in the older times. Im thinking more along the lines of at least 210 pounds, even 220.

Comment

Worst off because Mike was a very gifted puncher.

Mike's left hook wouldn't be as dangerous in the shoulder roll stance

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
          Worst off because Mike was a very gifted puncher.

Mike's left hook wouldn't be as dangerous in the shoulder roll stance
          Exactly this.

Comment

Lets take this question to another level...Some time ago Larry proclaimed that Adrian Broner was going to become a champ. Larry took much ribald for that prediction, some of it ugly and most of it good natured. Heres the thing: Larry was right to point out that Broner had natural talents and to this day Broner when he puts it together can look the part of a fighter going places...

Could we take Broner and rebuild his style, his approach, and make him that fighter that Larry saw? Or, substitute Zab Judah for Broner... same question.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
              Would Mike Tyson have been a better or worse fighter if he had been a slick, defensive, counter-punching boxer like James Toney (who had similar height and reach) instead of a come-forward brawler-swarmer ?
              Tyson's style suited him perfectly. He was a come forward brawler because backing up was not his forte. Many claim that the Douglas loss was attributed to partying but if you saw Tyson fight James Tillis earlier in his career you would have seen the signs that he had trouble with a boxer. I don't recall the exact scoring but it was closer than anticipated.

Comment

Originally posted by Brettcappe View Post
                Tyson's style suited him perfectly. He was a come forward brawler because backing up was not his forte. Many claim that the Douglas loss was attributed to partying but if you saw Tyson fight James Tillis earlier in his career you would have seen the signs that he had trouble with a boxer. I don't recall the exact scoring but it was closer than anticipated.

- -Mike was 19 fighting a contender.

There is no short list of such heavywt prospects attempting such a thing.

Mike knocked him down, but not out. Please do note the bias against sluggers vs boxers as no one complains when a boxer KOs someone...only in boxing...

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  - -Mike was 19 fighting a contender.

There is no short list of such heavywt prospects attempting such a thing.

Mike knocked him down, but not out. Please do note the bias against sluggers vs boxers as no one complains when a boxer KOs someone...only in boxing...
                  I'm not knocking Tyson. Quick Tillis was a crafty vet but it was an early glimpse of him against a decent boxer!

Comment

Originally posted by Brettcappe View Post
                    I'm not knocking Tyson. Quick Tillis was a crafty vet but it was an early glimpse of him against a decent boxer!
                    - -Indeed, and please do note that at age 19 young Clay turned pro against an aging, small town Sheriff for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                      - -Indeed, and please do note that at age 19 young Clay turned pro against an aging, small town Sheriff for comparison.
                      Glad that there are guys on here who go back aways. Even further than me. My first favorite fighter was "Smokin Joe" and that was the early 70's version. Always hated Ali. Respected his skills but was a loudmouth!

Comment

Working...
                      X