Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Keith Thurman Clog at 147: Is it Stripping Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Keith Thurman Clog at 147: Is it Stripping Time?

Is a fighter being "injured" a reasonable excuse to allow him to clog a division?

Porter and Garcia sitting on ice waiting for this guy to heal up, fight 1-2 tune ups then maybe fight them.

Spence has aspirations of being undisputed. That's a pipe dream with a massive clog named Keith Thurman.

Is it cruel to strip an injured fighter?

What if he returns then gets injured again. What then?

What are the written rules on this scenario?

Adonis Stevenson was allowed to clog 175 for years. The guy is a disgrace to the WBC belt. Are they gonna allow that to happen at 147 too.
    Yes
    81.82%
    No
    18.18%

Yeah strip and let him fight whomever for it again when he’s back.

I like Keith but you can’t justify him being able to hold onto it when it would force some big fights at welter.

Comment

The sanctioning bodies with just come up with alternative "titles" eg " champion in recess" etc.

If he hasn't fought his mandatory within a year, just strip him - as long as the same rule applies equally to all.

Comment

Emeritus,champ in recess time!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Illmatic94 View Post

Is a fighter being "injured" a reasonable excuse to allow him to clog a division?

Porter and Garcia sitting on ice waiting for this guy to heal up, fight 1-2 tune ups then maybe fight them.

Spence has aspirations of being undisputed. That's a pipe dream with a massive clog named Keith Thurman.

Is it cruel to strip an injured fighter?

What if he returns then gets injured again. What then?

What are the written rules on this scenario?

Adonis Stevenson was allowed to clog 175 for years. The guy is a disgrace to the WBC belt. Are they gonna allow that to happen at 147 too.
          Isn't this basically what happened? Good thing he wasn't fighting a threat. 2018 has been a disappointing year. On top of Golovkin vs Canelo and Thurman not fighting anyone relevant, I'm under the impression that Badou Jack vs Adonis Stevenson is gonna be delayed...at the very least. Maybe scrapped altogether with Stevenson's track record and the whole Eleider Alvarez situation.

Comment

Hell no. That title should be vacated and be won by the top 2 fighters in the rankings.

Meanwhile Thurman can hold Emeritus status and face the winner when he comes back. No tune up though.

Comment

Yes. His injuries are his problem. They shouldn't become the problem of all the other welterweights wanting a title shot. I think holding the champ's title for a year because of an injury is fair. More than a year is too long to keep a world title in limbo. They should strip him and let the two top guys fight for each of his titles. They can give him a chance to win his titles back when he is fit to fight.

Comment

I like Thurman and he's an excellent fighter but I had to vote "Yes". Nobody should be allowed to hold the belts hostage for this long. I'm concerned that Thurman has lost his edge. Hopefully he's still as good as he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                X