Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Groves is unable to fight in the WBSS finals who would you wanna see replace him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
    Honestly, since it's the final I wouldn't mind if they had to push it back a couple of months. Groves earned it
    I understand that & I wouldn't hate it, but part of me is with Chael Sonnen (MMA guy) who came up in wrestling tournaments. And in a tournament format (in amateur boxing, wrestling or any other sport) you fight as scheduled or you just lost by walkover & the final is June 2.

So I don't hate them putting on a final for entertainment value with a high level sub either if a guy can't compete as scheduled.

Comment

I think they should stick with Groves even if it means postponing until August. It's the fairest outcome and also makes the most economic sense if they want a London final. But if he's out longer or they are 100% set on June 2nd then Benavidez and Ramirez are the clear top 2 choices and it'd be great to have them come in. Groves is a champ who some have as the #1 in the division and so for a replacement you'd want someone who at least can make a case for themselves as the unofficial top guy, otherwise you could end up with a tournament final where the winner might not even be top 5 in the division. Besides them there aren't many names that really jump out when looking at the rankings.

If they're gonna say it has to be June 2nd in London no matter what and it's Breahmer in the final then that will feel like a weird event. For all the talk of boxing generating well over here recently, it's beyond rare for a foreigner vs foreigner fight to main event a UK card. Not like there are many UK SMWs who are good+available to step in. In the rest of the division JDG/Truax, Dirrell/Uzcat rematching. If Eubank or Yildirim wants another shot I wouldn't hate that but it wouldn't be that exciting and there wouldn't be much anticipation of them winning.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees7448 View Post
        I agree. It makes sense to put Eubanks Jr in there. They can't put some random dude who never fought in the tournament but whom else can they pick. Jaime Cox and Avni Yildirim got stopped in their losses. Rob Brant got dominated. Eric Skoglund wouldn't sell the fight as well as Eubanks. Its also a much bigger fight in England if Callum Smith with his fight.
        SKoglund in coma for last 2 months

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
          If they're gonna say it has to be June 2nd in London no matter what and it's Breahmer in the final then that will feel like a weird event. For all the talk of boxing generating well over here recently, it's beyond rare for a foreigner vs foreigner fight to main event a UK card. Not like there are many UK SMWs who are good+available to step in. In the rest of the division JDG/Truax, Dirrell/Uzcat rematching. If Eubank or Yildirim wants another shot I wouldn't hate that but it wouldn't be that exciting and there wouldn't be much anticipation of them winning.
          Good points here. If the June 2 UK date stands & Braehmer wins I think you gotta go with Eubank Jr or some other UK guy as the sub.

If Callum wins I think you got more leeway to put the best guy at 168 who wasn't in this tournament in there.

So potentially I think there is a ton of things in play here still based on who wins if Groves is out. Obviously I'm sure there first hope is they don't gotta worry about Groves not being in the finals in the first place. Plus since he's probably the biggest A side they can have in the finals I feel like they'll put every effort into assuring he does get extra time if necessary cuz I'm sure the money is something they are considering with this as well.

Comment

benavidez obviously. he would wipe out braehmer/callum smith and then he could fight the uncrowned tournament champ groves in a big fight

Comment

They could get that other eurobum out of retirement...Andreas Wardinski....or even the italian dragon Joe Calzoni

Comment

Originally posted by jackblack008 View Post
                SKoglund in coma for last 2 months
                #hit. Did not know that.

Comment

Nobody.. move the date out or have Eubank fight the other semi finalist for the 3rd spot and eventually the one to replace Groves if he is out for more than a year..

Comment

Avni Yildrim

Comment

Working...
                    X