No announcement yet.

donnie lalonde a successful career?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• donnie lalonde a successful career?

Just wondering if anyone remembered Canadian don lalonde won a portion of the light heavy title got a multimillionaire Payday against ray Leonard and did this with limited movement of his left arm. Anyone know how he is doing today?

I remember him... The leonard was one of the first fights I remember being hyped up when I was a child and started paying attention...

Not sure how he is doing now, but I would say with his limited ability, he had a pretty good career.. We are still talking about him 30 yrs later..

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      Just wondering if anyone remembered Canadian don lalonde won a portion of the light heavy title got a multimillionaire Payday against ray Leonard and did this with limited movement of his left arm. Anyone know how he is doing today?
      I met him in the Dominican Republic a long time ago. He was going out with a girl from Winnipeg who's father was an x-pat living down there. Her father was trying to get him to invest down there I guess so he could get his hands on some of the 6 million he made from the Leonard fight. I don't think he ever did.

He used to be trained by Teddy Atlas but fired him because they didn't get along.

I read this in wikipedia...

Teddy Atlas' book revelation

In 2006, Teddy Atlas published his autobiography, Atlas: From the Streets to the Ring: A Son's Struggle to Become a Man. In the book, he revealed that he came close to murdering Lalonde. "When he made six million for Leonard, it tore me up," Atlas wrote. "It made me murderous." If Atlas had not been fired by Lalonde and he had trained him for the Leonard fight, he would've gotten 10% of his purse, $600,000.

Atlas described getting a gun and going to Lalonde's apartment building in New York. After getting buzzed into the building by another tenant, Atlas went to Lalonde's apartment and knocked on the door. "If he had opened the door, he was dead," Atlas wrote. "I would have pulled the trigger, turned around, and walked away." However, there was no answer.

Atlas waited through the night for Lalonde to return, periodically phoning the apartment. When he finally got through, Lalonde's girlfriend answered. When asked if Lalonde was home, she said yes. Atlas hung up and started making his way over to the apartment. Somewhere along the way, for whatever reason, Atlas changed his mind.

Lalonde knew nothing about it until the book came out and a friend told him about it. "It actually didn't surprise me when I heard it," he said. "Teddy got into fights with trainers and fighters quite a bit when I was with him. He may not be the most stable person walking around."

Lalonde is in his mid 50's today...I guess he's still big news in Winnipeg but you don't her much about him otherwise.

Comment

about two yea s ago their was dinner with don, Shave s and bowe in Edmonton Alberta

Comment

His stories to his grandchildren will be much better than ours.

Comment

Working...
          X