No announcement yet.

Helio Gracie Passes Away

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lived a full life and became a legend in combat sports

a truly great pioneer who's life can't be measured in words. R.I.P.

Comment

It really stinks when a true Titan falls. His impact will be literally felt for the rest of time. Any Submission hold from here until the end of days will now be homage to his life.

Rest in Peace Helio.

Comment

in honor of helio......

bj is gonna break st. pierre's arm via kimura.

i bet you oh canada will tap unlike the old man.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
          in honor of helio......

bj is gonna break st. pierre's arm via kimura.

i bet you oh canada will tap unlike the old man.
          I see you know your history. That's how Helio was defeated by Kimura and the guy he was fighting's last name was Kimura. It was called a kimura from that day forth. It used to just be referred to as a shoulder lock or something.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
            I see you know your history. That's how Helio was defeated by Kimura and the guy he was fighting's last name was Kimura. It was called a kimura from that day forth. It used to just be referred to as a shoulder lock or something.
            i love the gracies. all the fake and exagerrated myths aside. i think rickson is the greatest grappler ever and royce was the most fun to watch in mma (because of his skinny body and how he showed how even not that technical jiu-jitsu could be useful in a fight)

it's funny how it's called the kimura in brazilian jiu-jitsu.

it's called reverse shoulder lock in judo (don't know the japanese word specifically). obviously brazilian jiu-jitsu is just kosen judo modified by the gracies and most of the basic moves are the same.

have you seen kron grapple , abos? googe it. it's rickson's son. he started taking up the sport after his older brother rockson died.

he's damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
              i love the gracies. all the fake and exagerrated myths aside. i think rickson is the greatest grappler ever and royce was the most fun to watch in mma (because of his skinny body and how he showed how even not that technical jiu-jitsu could be useful in a fight)

it's funny how it's called the kimura in brazilian jiu-jitsu.

it's called reverse shoulder lock in judo (don't know the japanese word specifically). obviously brazilian jiu-jitsu is just kosen judo modified by the gracies and most of the basic moves are the same.

have you seen kron grapple , abos? googe it. it's rickson's son. he started taking up the sport after his older brother rockson died.

he's damn good.
              I haven't seen Kron Gracie grapple at all. I'll check that out sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
                I haven't seen Kron Gracie grapple at all. I'll check that out sometime.
                he has a few youtube clips under kron or kron gracie.

i'll send it to you.

i like the kid a lot maybe because of his dad...... (mma julio chavez jr. effect lol)

Comment

Roger is the most successful and decorated grappler of all the Gracies. Rickson did the smart thing in staying away from the sport after guys starting learning BJJ as well as mastering it. He let the "legend" live on unlike Royce who basicallly exposed the flaws in a one dimensional skill and nothing else to back it up.

Kron's a badass thats for sure. But Ralek is better IMO. Anone seen his street fight from when he was 15 years old?
                  Last edited by jakkups; 01-30-2009, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
                    Roger is the most successful and decorated grappler of all the Gracies. Rickson did the smart thing in staying away from the sport after guys starting learning BJJ as well as mastering it. He let the "legend" live on unlike Royce who basicallly exposed the flaws in a one dimensional skill and nothing else to back it up.
                    no way roger is more decorated than rickson.

do you know what the absolute (no weight class) division was called during rickson's era in brazil?

it was called the "rickson" division.

and what are you talking about rickson staying away after people started mastering bjj?

you do know that in brazil there were tons of good schools on bjj right?

rickson was grappling with the best brazilian jiu-jitsu fighters in brazil.

do you mean stop fighting in mma?

you do realize that rickson's last fight in mma was when he was 42 yrs. old right? he's 51 right now.

royce? you're talking about royce? you do realize that royce gracie is not a very good bjj technician right? royce was not very good. what royce did was show how a smaller fighter that knows bjj can beat a bigger fighter that doesn't. royce's bjj skills is not very high. anyone that knows bjj and grappling would tell you that just from watching his techniques which are sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
                      Kron's a badass thats for sure. But Ralek is better IMO. Anone seen his street fight from when he was 15 years old?
                      i've seen ralek grapple. he's pretty good of course.

ralek has the privilege of more experience. he's much older than kron who's in his late teens i think.

kron has the privilege of working with his dad. ralek only knows bjj from rorion. kron trains with his dad who is also a black belt in judo and learned sambo. rorion (ralek's dad) only believes in bjj. rickson teaches kron everything and makes him learn everything.

kron also benefits from sparring with the best in the sport. ralek spends the majority of his time in torrance teaching.

that fight was against a kickboxer. who is also a kid. as you can see the kid has no grappling experience. the result was inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                      X