No announcement yet.

Jack Sharkey discussing Jack Dempsey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Sharkey discussing Jack Dempsey

A few years ago I found an article from a local newspaper in the 50's that interviewed Jack Sharkey. Several very interesting points he made:

1). Dempsey punchfor punch hit harder than Joe Louis. Louis was the better combination puncher.

2). Regarding getting hit by Dempsey...."I never thought anyone could hit that hard".

3). Elaborating further concerning Dempsey punching power..."When Dempsey hit you on the shoulder he broke your shoulder. When he hit you to the body it felt as if his fist came out your back. When he hit you on the hip he dislocated your hip".

I always heard that Sharkey never picked Dempsey or Louis over one another in terms of punching power BUT in this interview he was very clear who he felt was the more powerful puncher.

How come I didn't find that article? I looked in your post. That is where it is supposed to be.

Comment

This was a few years ago. I did not retain the article. There is a nice audio of Sharkey on YOUTUBE discussing Dempsey punching power. He reiterates his quote above concerning how damaging Dempsey blows were.

Comment

--- Holmesy was laid out literally crucifixed for the 100 count against Tyson, yet claims Shavers hit hardest.

Go figure fighters at yer own peril...

Comment

Only one fighter can testify regarding Dempsey vs Louis power. That's Jack Sharkey. His testimony to Dempsey power is stunning:

"I never thought anyone could hit that hard"

"When Dempsey hit you in the body it felt like his fist came out your back"

That's a former worlds hwt champion talking.

Comment

Imagine how hard Langford hit:

"I fought most of the heavyweights, including Dempsey and Johnson, but Sam could stretch a guy colder than any of them. When Langford hit me it felt like someone slugged me with a baseball bat. But strangely enough it didn’t hurt, it was like taking ether, you just went to sleep." -- Jim Flynn

Comment

Langford was also a huge puncher.

There has been a debate for many decades as who hit harder Dempsey or Louis. Sharkey the only man who fought both certainly felt Dempsey hit harder. His comment concerning Dempsey body punches provide a glimpse of the agony he endured especially in round six and the start of round 7 vs Dempsey.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
                Imagine how hard Langford hit:

"I fought most of the heavyweights, including Dempsey and Johnson, but Sam could stretch a guy colder than any of them. When Langford hit me it felt like someone slugged me with a baseball bat. But strangely enough it didn’t hurt, it was like taking ether, you just went to sleep." -- Jim Flynn
                Certainly cant say the same for Tommy Langford.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Certainly cant say the same for Tommy Langford.

Comment

Holmes was also well past him Prime when he fought Tyson, he was not the same person in the ring, and everything at that time in his career, he was an old fighter with an old fighters ability and senses in the ring, not a young one, and he looked it, he probably could have even given an honest answer on that one,

Comment

Working...
                    X