No announcement yet.

Holmes vs Lewis resume

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Ive been getting those fumes as well...Closeau is that you? hahahahah there is only hahahahah one man who would screw up and pull the wrong tooth...hahahahah its closeau hahahahhaha get him hahahahhaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOcFJHUnuo

theres only one man who would call Golota hahahahha a threat hahahahah to a great heavyweight hahahahahhaha get him! hahahah
    LOL closeau, wtf kinda name is that

Comment

Following the timeline of Holmes career Golota would be fighting the version of Holmes that struggled with Spoon in 83.

Golota is underrated. Need I remind you that he beat the living crap out of Riddick Bowe twice? Yeah, he was a mental midget but unless you had the power to bully him and make him quit he's going to be a challenge. 83 Holmes was already a bit faded and had respectable power but certainly not in the Lewis/Tyson/Brewster bracket...It would be a good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
        He fought and beat, Bowe, Tyson, Holyfield, Morrison, Tua, Bruno, Ruddock, and many others, he cleared the division of danger and talent.

Bowe ducked Lewis for good reason, he knew what would have happened based on their earlier fight

So I know you are gonna argue just know that im not gonna fight back because its a game
        Im not arguing its a fact that Lewis never fought Bowe professionally, its just not right to say they fought. Did Tyrell Briggs beat Tyson because they fought as amateurs. If you want to qualify your statement and mention that they fought in the amateurs and Lewis won that would be correct. Little Alex this is not a fine point, I think you can see why you cannot say Lewis beat Bowe unless you qualify the statement.

I don't disagree with you about Bowe's feelings regarding Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          LOL closeau, wtf kinda name is that
          The Pink Panther movies, inspector Closeau! My spelling is probably off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist_Spec View Post
            Following the timeline of Holmes career Golota would be fighting the version of Holmes that struggled with Spoon in 83.

Golota is underrated. Need I remind you that he beat the living crap out of Riddick Bowe twice? Yeah, he was a mental midget but unless you had the power to bully him and make him quit he's going to be a challenge. 83 Holmes was already a bit faded and had respectable power but certainly not in the Lewis/Tyson/Brewster bracket...It would be a good fight.
            He beat Bowe by using his nutsack as a speedbag.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              The Pink Panther movies, inspector Closeau! My spelling is probably off.
              ahh right right right , tbh i didnt watch the video, might do so now lol

Comment

So let's assume Larry Holmes from the Shavers I fight takes on Razor Ruddock and goes through Lewis resume in the same manner. How far does he get?

IMO he beats everyone pretty comfortably up to Golota. Golota would be a real test for Larry. 6'4'' and 240 pounds, the most fluid super-heavy ever, excellent jab and footwork, good upper-body movement, fine combination puncher. Golota was a world class talent who lacked the grit and mental integrity to cut it at the top level but in Holmes he'd be facing a fighter unlike the many punchers he often came up short against. I think Holmes who was dangerous under pressure, in the late rounds, and always fired back could overwhelm Golota late but this is definitely a stern test.

The next challenge is Holyfield. This would be the Spinks version of Holmes and IMO Holyfield aged a lot better than Holmes. 50-50 affair here.

If he doesn't lose to Golota/Holyfield, he probably doesn't lose until Vitali takes care of him. Maybe Tyson who still started fast as hell while Holmes didn't have his legs anymore.

So to sum it up, I think Larry would have a good time in the 90s. When you look at his career, it was the boxers like Williams, or pressure fighters like Norton and Weaver that troubled him the most. Larry excelled against limited sluggers like Tua, Rahman, Ruddock, Briggs, Mercer etc..
                Holmes would certainly struggle more with the 90's HW's.... he had good showings with Mercer who I think underestimated him and holyfield who struggled with tall jabbers....Ruddock was Holmes sparring partner and imop got the better of him which is why he was fired. I cant see guys like Spinks or cooney being a bigger threat in both physical and style wise than Golota Ruddock or even Morrison,these were not easy guys to fight. Lewis had POWER to stop these guys, Holmes was a volume puncher who needed to control the fight soly on the jab,these guys would have been longer stronger guys than the witherspoons or Nortons. Vitali isn't even a question for me as I see Lewis out of 3 ppl who I would see realistically favored over him. The argument of " all time great " is idiotic to throw in here as reference to who fought who...its NOT a skill and doesn't apply to other eras its just dumb . Resume wise no doubt Lewis and even the guys he fought past there prime were still better for the most part.

Too Holmes credit some of the matches that so called experts say were close actually weren't...Holmes picked apart Witherspoon rather easily down the stretch on 3 weeks notice , and clearly won the rematch in spinks a few others....Lewis has one of the greatest resumes of all time no matter how you look at it. and despite what ppl wish to think Vitali is his ace win which imop puts him in the top 3 of all time even though it was controversial and against a somewhat green Vitali who hadnt yet fought a true top guy up until that point.I'll take that win over holmes win over spinks anyday....yes im calling it a WIN.
                Last edited by juggernaut666; 03-05-2016, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                  Holmes would certainly struggle more with the 90's HW's.... he had good showings with Mercer who I think underestimated him and holyfield who struggled with tall jabbers....Ruddock was Holmes sparring partner and imop got the better of him which is why he was fired. I cant see guys like Spinks or cooney being a bigger threat in both physical and style wise than Golota Ruddock or even Morrison,these were not easy guys to fight. Lewis had POWER to stop these guys, Holmes was a volume puncher who needed to control the fight soly on the jab,these guys would have been longer stronger guys than the witherspoons or Nortons. Vitali isn't even a question for me as I see Lewis out of 3 ppl who I would see realistically favored over him. The argument of " all time great " is idiotic to throw in here as reference to who fought who...its NOT a skill and doesn't apply to other eras its just dumb . Resume wise no doubt Lewis and even the guys he fought past there prime were still better for the most part.

Too Holmes credit some of the matches that so called experts say were close actually weren't...Holmes picked apart Witherspoon rather easily down the stretch on 3 weeks notice , and clearly won the rematch in spinks a few others....Lewis has one of the greatest resumes of all time no matter how you look at it. and despite what ppl wish to think Vitali is his ace win which imop puts him in the top 3 of all time even though it was controversial and against a somewhat green Vitali who hadnt yet fought a true top guy up until that point.I'll take that win over holmes win over spinks anyday....yes im calling it a WIN.
                  I disagree myself.

Holmes never really had much trouble with sluggers which is the type of fighter Lewis himself feasted on.

I think he'd embarass Ruddock and I quite like Ruddock myself, but he had no jab by 92 and needed a stationary or come-forward target to set up his bombs...Holmes mobility and jabbing would completely pick him apart in a one-sided UD, he threw like 3 punches against Lewis in the first round because Lewis used good footwork and never gave him the opportunity to set up his left hook.

Basically, you'd need good technical skill and all-around ability to fight with Holmes which is why I think Golota would be troublesome but Mercer/Tua/Rahman/Briggs etc. just get outboxed.

Prime for prime I think Vitali would be a good match-up, I think Vitali is quite vulnerable to a good boxer, which is why he mostly fought plodders like Chisora/Peter/Arreola. I can see Holmes handspeed, footwork and timing prevailing here but Vitali threw a lot of punches himself, was awkward and difficult to hit, plus not to mention huge. It'd be a good fight.

Comment

I disagree myself.

Holmes never really had much trouble with sluggers which is the type of fighter Lewis himself feasted on.

I think he'd embarass Ruddock and I quite like Ruddock myself, but he had no jab by 92 and needed a stationary or come-forward target to set up his bombs...Holmes mobility and jabbing would completely pick him apart in a one-sided UD, he threw like 3 punches against Lewis in the first round because Lewis used good footwork and never gave him the opportunity to set up his left hook.

Basically, you'd need good technical skill and all-around ability to fight with Holmes which is why I think Golota would be troublesome but Mercer/Tua/Rahman/Briggs etc. just get outboxed.

Prime for prime I think Vitali would be a good match-up, I think Vitali is quite vulnerable to a good boxer, which is why he mostly fought plodders like Chisora/Peter/Arreola. I can see Holmes handspeed, footwork and timing prevailing here but Vitali threw a lot of punches himself, was awkward and difficult to hit, plus not to mention huge. It'd be a good fight.
                    Mercer was a good all around technical fighter,his fight with Holyfield that was basically a draw proves that,give or take Holyfield winning 2 more rounds. Briggs as well was a good all around boxer not sure where you see them as brawlers? Vitali fought any one who was there...Byrd did not want a rematch with him and certainly under King was not going to give him one. The end argument here was for me,power....and Holmes was not a power puncher which would hurt him in fights with a Vitali Klitchko I would also like Byrds chances of out pointing Holmes.Ruddock could really hurt Holmes if he landed cleanly,he would not get laid oput like he diod with Lennox that's for sure, and not really sold on Golota being a bigger threat than a Ruddock despite Razors decline. Golota got mugged faster than Ruddock did against Lewis and Ruddock had quicker sharper stronger punches than Golota at any stage in the 90's,Golota MAYBE the better chin?but that's irrelevant against Holmes who was not a power puncher which is the difference why I have select match ups against him.But then again a early 90's Ruddock took Tysons best shots the second fight,you never knew which Ruddock was showing up.

One thing I will give Golota maybe is he fought taller guys better than Razor so that may even the match up out against a Holmes?Its an interesting topic,becuase Golota was one of those Tommy Morrison question marks of someone with wasted talent.
                    Last edited by juggernaut666; 03-06-2016, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Absolutely agree with Juggernaut, Lewis has the better resume and he's the superior fighter also, in my opinion...

Holmes competition in late 70s and 80s was so so, not exceptional, and yes he was a volume puncher controlling bouts with is amazing jabs and movement, against 90s HW he lacks power...

Having said that, when he decided to take things seriously again after the Tyson beatdown, he had good showings beating Mercer and a good one with Holyfield...

Comment

Working...
                      X