• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what did muhammed ali get up to between 67/70

how was he able to make such history returning and whooping great fighters

was he running n sparring regular over the 3 years or here n there boxing

what actually happened and how was his weight during those times

did he balloon up

I think Ali toured the US giving speeches at universities and so on. I'm not sure, but I think he was offered work as Fraziers sparring partner, but obviously turned the offer down.

I dont think he balloned as such. He was still a young man. According to the newspaper below, he was 238 when he started camp 6 weeks before his comeback against Jerry Quarry and weighed in only an lb or 2 above his weight for the Foley fight 3 1/2 years before.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=949,6312359

In the Quarry fight, he looked like the Ali of old, but in his book he wrote that that was just the appearance and he felt quite lucky that Quarry got cut so that he didn't have to go 15.

Comment

He toured the US giving speeches, appeared on tv shows and even did a musical. He spent a hell of a lot of money in the appeals process, on lawyers and such. It was a tough time for him but it's in this period that America finally started to appreciate him.

Comment

Ali did get pretty heavy during that time. I remember he had to lose a lot of weight for filming of his "computer fight" with Marciano.

Comment

Its Muhammad

Comment

Didn't Ali also open a restaurant or something at that time and appear in a play? I remember a line from the movie mentioning "Champ Burgers".

Comment

Even if Ali did slack off and gain some weight in those years his naturally fit build made it not too difficult for him to regain his conditioning quickly. Lots of athletic guys have a sort of "natural fitness" where even if they dont train for an extended amount of time their bodies are still able to quickly regain conditioning fairly quickly. Ali had an incredibly fit and tapered build for a man of his size. Most guys that big can get real damn fat real quick if they pig out and stop training, eg: Bowe.

Comment

When you train you eat alot of food. When you take time off you still eat the same. Alot of fighters find this out.

Comment

Working...
                X