No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs Castillo 1 - Why The Decision Was Fair

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather vs Castillo 1 - Why The Decision Was Fair

Some people claim that Castillo deserved to win this bout, but I watched it again recently and thought Floyd won clearly. One thing that I want to make clear first of all, is that I didn't, and you shouldn't, listen to the HBO commentators while you watch it. They are incredibly biased and really try very hard to deceive you and make you believe things that just didn't happen. Like Jim Lampley saying "For most of the fight Castillo had him against the ropes". No he didn't. That is palpably not true. Simply put, Floyd pretty much won this fight in the first 6 rounds. Jose unquestionably lost the first 4 and I had him losing the 5th also. Having built such a big early lead, all Floyd had to do was win 2 or 3 of the next 7 and he did that. I think people just got excited because Castillo really gave him a tough time (which nobody else had managed to do up to that point, and nobody has really done it since, either). Jose won most of the late rounds, but the truth is that Mayweather won more of the first 6 than Castillo did of the last 6, and therefore deserved to win. Albeit narrowly.

Floyd was backing up most of the time, but that doesn't matter if you land the better punches, and he did. The punchstats claimed that Castillo landed more, but almost every time Floyd let his hands go he seemed to land flush. Where as a lot of Castillo's punches were being blocked and landed on the arms and hips. Compubox counted them, but I didn't and you shouldn't either because they are illegal. If you watch closely you will see this. Floyd might not have landed as many, but his punches were better and more effective. I scored it 115-112 for Mayweather. I could see maybe one or two more rounds for Castillo, but that would be being generous and I don't see how you could give him any more than that, unless you just hate Floyd and/or don't know much about boxing. Floyd landed cleaner punches, harder punches and dictated the tempo with his jab.

What do you think? If you haven't done so already, I would highly encourage you to watch and score it without the HBO commentary. If you do that, I am more than sure that you will come to the same conclusion to me.
    Last edited by JK1700; 09-26-2012, 11:33 AM.

I thought Mayweather won the fight but I wouldn't have been mad if Castillo got the decision.

It was a close fight.

Comment

I had the fight 114-112 for Floyd Mayweather. Castillo gave away so many early rounds and dug himself a hole he couldn't get out of.

Comment

@OP I completely agree. Castillo lost the first half too decisively to get the win.

Comment

meh I thought Castillo just won it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            meh I thought Castillo just won it.
            me too.

Comment

When I watched the fight live, I though Castillo had gotten seriously robbed and voiced my opinion when asked over the following years.

Last year, I rewatched the fight for the very first time and scored it or Floyd. No one expected Castillo to give Floyd that much trouble so maybe we got over-excited. Castillo did very well but didn't quite pull it off.

Comment

R1: 10-9 to Floyd
                R2: 10-9 to Floyd
                R3: 10-9 to Floyd
                R4: 10-9 to Floyd
                R5: 10-9 to Floyd
                R6: 9-10 Jose
                R7: 9-10 Jose
                R8: Could have gone either way, ref deduction
                R9: 9-10 Jose
                R10: 9-9, ref deduction
                R11: 9-10 Jose
                R12: 10-9 Floyd

The unnecessary ref deductions makes this fight tricky to score.

If round 8 goes to Jose, it would be a 9-9. Giving the round to Floyd would make it 10-8 in his favor. HBO gave the 8th to Jose and scored it 9-9.

Round 10 was a Floyd round, but there was that deduction against him. Instead of giving Floyd the round and making it 9-9, HBO scoring turned it into 10-8 for Jose even though Floyd won.

Round 11 is the most interesting round. I seen many scorecards and people often give this round to Floyd. This is a sentimental decision imo. Floyd rarely opens up like that, so when he does people get excited and carried away by the beauty. Jose got to work earlier than Floyd did and landed quite a few bodyshots.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                  When I watched the fight live, I though Castillo had gotten seriously robbed and voiced my opinion when asked over the following years.

Last year, I rewatched the fight for the very first time and scored it or Floyd. No one expected Castillo to give Floyd that much trouble so maybe we got over-excited. Castillo did very well but didn't quite pull it off.
                  This is very true.

Everyone expected it to be a "Routine" win for Mayweather and people seriously underestimated Castillo. He was considered to be worse and a lot less dangerous than Corrales and look what Mayweather had just done to him.

The fact that he gave him a lot of trouble made people think it was wider than it was.

Absolutely no way was this fight a robbery in my eyes. I can't see how you can consider it a robbery. Mayweather certainly racked up the early rounds and it's not like Castillo sweeped the second half of the fight.

That said, it was definitely a close fight that could easily have gone in Castillo' favour.

Comment

i'll need to watch it again sometime.

Comment

Working...
                    X