No announcement yet.

What happened to boxing fans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jas View Post
    It is because talking about the business of boxing is an easy subject to talk about

Most fans dont know about technical aspects of boxing
    This is true. And I'm pretty ignorant on the subject myself. I'd like to learn from folks who do, though. Really, it's all about the actual fights. If they aren't good, then who cares about the business side?

Trying to do more threads about the technical side. A knockout shot looks great but how was it set up and so forth? Might be nice to just pick a KO and ask how did the winner set this up and what led up to it, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
      This is true. And I'm pretty ignorant on the subject myself. I'd like to learn from folks who do, though. Really, it's all about the actual fights. If they aren't good, then who cares about the business side?

Trying to do more threads about the technical side. A knockout shot looks great but how was it set up and so forth? Might be nice to just pick a KO and ask how did the winner set this up and what led up to it, etc?
      I feel the same.
      I admit I'm a late newbie to boxing and would much rather learn about the sweet science of boxing from alot of knowledgeable posters instead of this business crap.
      It's why I don't post as much cause it's not about boxing per sa.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
        I feel the same.
        I admit I'm a late newbie to boxing and would much rather learn about the sweet science of boxing from alot of knowledgeable posters instead of this business crap.
        It's why I don't post as much cause it's not about boxing per sa.
        Exactly, man. I've been impressed with several fighters over the years but I don't always understand what's happening in the ring. Maybe I can't understand all of it, but I'd like to be more knowledgable than I am. Would make it much more interesting. I try to think about what each man is doing and thinking in there from one second to the next. Every fight truly is different. And I see like, zero posts on here about technique or the technical side. I have seen some vids on YT that walk you through a fight. Pretty cool stuff. As a boxing fan, I like to watch any fight, honestly. That's what it's all about. Hell, I can discuss business and politics anywhere. Ha.

Comment

Exactly, man. I've been impressed with several fighters over the years but I don't always understand what's happening in the ring. Maybe I can't understand all of it, but I'd like to be more knowledgable than I am. Would make it much more interesting. I try to think about what each man is doing and thinking in there from one second to the next. Every fight truly is different. And I see like, zero posts on here about technique or the technical side. I have seen some vids on YT that walk you through a fight. Pretty cool stuff. As a boxing fan, I like to watch any fight, honestly. That's what it's all about. Hell, I can discuss business and politics anywhere. Ha.
          Yer I love them you tube vids explaining what's going on in the ring.
          Oh well let's hope it just a flash in the pan with the business talk.
          Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
            Yer I love them you tube vids explaining what's going on in the ring.
            Oh well let's hope it just a flash in the pan with the business talk.
            Fingers crossed.
            You guys would learn so much by getting down to your local boxing gym and eventually sparring once you get down the basics...it opens your eyes like nothing else can. I don't box any more but I did in my early 20s and once you do you start seeing so much more of what's going on and many more subtle things. If you have time in your life, this is what id recommend, its the hardest thing youll do, but its rewarding when you start to get it, and it's great for fitness too

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
              You guys would learn so much by getting down to your local boxing gym and eventually sparring once you get down the basics...it opens your eyes like nothing else can. I don't box any more but I did in my early 20s and once you do you start seeing so much more of what's going on and many more subtle things. If you have time in your life, this is what id recommend, its the hardest thing youll do, but its rewarding when you start to get it, and it's great for fitness too
              Thanks man. I'm not sure we have a gym here anymore. Sadly. But I have sparred with friends and stuff a long time ago and I did beat all of them. Not bragging at all. They knew nothing about the sport. But yeah. I'm sure the best experience is first hand. My bro and I talk boxing and spar now and then. It's a lot of fun but I don't get to do it enough. I'm sure you're right though. Experience is the best teacher. I'll try to spar him the next time I see him and I'll look into the boxing gym. May get my ass kicked. Haha. But I'm sure I would learn from it. Thanks for the post!

Comment

Originally posted by Worick View Post
                Thank your hero Mayweather for all that your complaining for in your opening post
                That's the first thing that comes to my mind. lmao.

Comment

Thanks man. I'm not sure we have a gym here anymore. Sadly. But I have sparred with friends and stuff a long time ago and I did beat all of them. Not bragging at all. They knew nothing about the sport. But yeah. I'm sure the best experience is first hand. My bro and I talk boxing and spar now and then. It's a lot of fun but I don't get to do it enough. I'm sure you're right though. Experience is the best teacher. I'll try to spar him the next time I see him and I'll look into the boxing gym. May get my ass kicked. Haha. But I'm sure I would learn from it. Thanks for the post!
                  Yeah I mean get coached by someone who knows what their doing and then spar people who know what there doing, and if after a while you get a knack for it have some local fights

Sparring in your garage with your brother/friends might be fun, but for most people it can be like picking up a golf club without proper coaching, ill-advised

Comment

Yeah agree it'd be good to see a lot more talk like that. I hold back from it mostly as I know my limitations. Part of the problem is that some of the best fighters break the rules so it's debatable how much to read into certain technical approaches or flaws. I remember when I first saw it pointed out that southpaw vs orthodox fights usually see each guy wanting their lead foot on the outside. Then after that I notice in fights the guy with their foot on the outside does tend to be winning. But then I watched some Sweet Pea fights and see this dude stepping inside instead of outside and it's like...wow, back to square one of understanding, I guess you can step however you want if you've got the timing/skill/talent etc.

Training at a boxing gym and learning the basics is for sure a good thing. But I think the lack of technical discussion on here is because it's so much harder to really be able to analyse high level boxing. Some of the ATGs were so skilled and tricky that even someone on here with a respectable amateur background is not going to have the understanding to be able to do it.

The only writer on here who really does is Breadman and that's why it's no surprise to see his success with J Rock because so few people seem to really be able to understand boxing and communicate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X