Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacman still pound-for-pound king

Dennis Principe
    November 19th, 2010

AS expected, Filipino boxing Manny Pacquiao icon remained no. 1 in Ring Magazine’s online version of their pound-for-pound list.

But a development happened in the magazine’s welterweight rankings as its online version finally installed Pacquiao as the no. 1-ranked contender, downgrading bitter American rival Floyd Mayweather to the second spot.

“Due to the fact that Manny Pacquiao is more active and weighed in as a welterweight for the Antonio Margarito victory, he has overtaken Floyd Mayweather,” said The Ring’s chief editor and one-time Manila visitor Nigel Collins.

The Ring’s welterweight crown remains vacant as the magazine has been very strict with their policy of allowing only its top two rated boxers to fight it out for any vacant crown.

Pacquiao, who has been in the Ring’s pound-for-pound list for a total of 364 weeks, was once crowned by The Ring as its world featherweight champion when the Filipino annihilated then champion Marco Antonio Barrera of Mexico in 2003.

Mayweather, meanwhile, occupied the no. 2 spot in the pound-for-pound list, with Mexican rival Juan Manuel Marquez taking the third spot. Another Filipino Nonito Donaire, Jr. sits at no. 4.

Collins, meanwhile, said Pacquiao’s latest 12-round victory over Antonio Margarito did not merit the Filipino multi-division champion a place in their junior middleweight rankings.

“The WBC junior middleweight belt at stake will look nice in Manny’s trophy case, but really doesn’t mean very much, especially as Margarito was unranked by The Ring going into the fight,” said Collins.

Meanwhile, American three-time Shane Mosley has taken a major step towards gaining the opportunity of being Pacquiao’s next opponent.

Mosley told Lance Pugmire of the LA Times that he has severed ties with longtime promotional partner Golden Boy Promotions.

“I’m conducting business myself. If I have to wait for these others, I’m not going to get the fight I want,” said Mosley

Mosley believes it will be a long-shot for him to get a fight with Pacquiao if he is represented by Golden Boy, a promotional outfit owned by the sport’s poster boy Oscar De La Hoya, who has been at odds with the Pacman’s promoter Bob Arum.

Mosley, 39, also admitted that he has personally reached out to Arum and that the astute promoter has reportedly given him some hope in a recent conversation.
    Last edited by ThunderWolf; 11-19-2010, 06:29 AM.

With the way they've been switching rank# after every fight,
    and with a realistic expectation of how many times a boxer
    can fight each year...

I think it's reasonable to say that Floyd and Pac are tied for #1.
    Let's be glad to have two such gifted athletes in boxing.

Comment

*****: Ring magazine is full of *******s. Ring ratings don't mean **** as it has no belts.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderWolf View Post
        Dennis Principe
        November 19th, 2010

AS expected, Filipino boxing Manny Pacquiao icon remained no. 1 in Ring Magazine’s online version of their pound-for-pound list.

But a development happened in the magazine’s welterweight rankings as its online version finally installed Pacquiao as the no. 1-ranked contender, downgrading bitter American rival Floyd Mayweather to the second spot.

“Due to the fact that Manny Pacquiao is more active and weighed in as a welterweight for the Antonio Margarito victory, he has overtaken Floyd Mayweather,” said The Ring’s chief editor and one-time Manila visitor Nigel Collins.

The Ring’s welterweight crown remains vacant as the magazine has been very strict with their policy of allowing only its top two rated boxers to fight it out for any vacant crown.

Pacquiao, who has been in the Ring’s pound-for-pound list for a total of 364 weeks, was once crowned by The Ring as its world featherweight champion when the Filipino annihilated then champion Marco Antonio Barrera of Mexico in 2003.

Mayweather, meanwhile, occupied the no. 2 spot in the pound-for-pound list, with Mexican rival Juan Manuel Marquez taking the third spot. Another Filipino Nonito Donaire, Jr. sits at no. 4.

Collins, meanwhile, said Pacquiao’s latest 12-round victory over Antonio Margarito did not merit the Filipino multi-division champion a place in their junior middleweight rankings.

“The WBC junior middleweight belt at stake will look nice in Manny’s trophy case, but really doesn’t mean very much, especially as Margarito was unranked by The Ring going into the fight,” said Collins.

Meanwhile, American three-time Shane Mosley has taken a major step towards gaining the opportunity of being Pacquiao’s next opponent.

Mosley told Lance Pugmire of the LA Times that he has severed ties with longtime promotional partner Golden Boy Promotions.

“I’m conducting business myself. If I have to wait for these others, I’m not going to get the fight I want,” said Mosley

Mosley believes it will be a long-shot for him to get a fight with Pacquiao if he is represented by Golden Boy, a promotional outfit owned by the sport’s poster boy Oscar De La Hoya, who has been at odds with the Pacman’s promoter Bob Arum.

Mosley, 39, also admitted that he has personally reached out to Arum and that the astute promoter has reportedly given him some hope in a recent conversation.

They dont know shyt about boxing! Ring Magazine are racist!!!!!!

Comment

cool

Comment

About time too. Floyd has lived off past glories for too long now. And the past glories werent that great in the first place.

Maybe Floyd will get off his backside now.

Comment

Working...
            X