No announcement yet.

Diaz VS St. Pierre OR Melendez VS Edgar

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaz VS St. Pierre OR Melendez VS Edgar

In addition to defending their respective Strikeforce belts Saturday in San Diego, Gilbert Melendez and Nick Diaz also probably placed themselves at the top of the "Guys we want to see fight in the UFC" list.

Melendez and Diaz have each expressed a desire to compete against the UFC's best, and according to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, those matchups will eventually happen -- although details as to when, specifically, remain vague.

For the sake of this argument, let's pretend it happened tomorrow -- but we only get one. Melendez versus Frankie Edgar or Diaz versus Georges St. Pierre? It's a tough call, but if I only get one, give me Diaz and St. Pierre.

For starters, the welterweight division is more in need of a big fight. At 155, champions from both organizations have options. Edgar has a tough fight against Gray Maynard in May, and after that, the line is long -- Jim Miller, Anthony Pettis, Melvin Guillard, Dennis Siver, etc.

For Melendez, a rubber match with Josh Thomson is an intriguing fight and one that, stylistically, we know produces entertaining results. At welterweight, fewer matchups exist for the two champions. Diaz's next defense will likely be against Tyron Woodley, a talented prospect, yes, but one who would benefit from another year's experience.

For St. Pierre, Jake Shields is a great test later this month, but should he win, then what? Carlos Condit? Dong Hyun Kim? B.J. Penn again? Jon Fitch again? I guess.

The timing seems more appropriate for the welterweight matchup, too. Combined, Diaz and St. Pierre have defended the belt eight times. Melendez and Edgar combine for four, one of which came by a draw. The biggest reason I'd want to see one over the other, though, is that a fight between Diaz and St. Pierre raises some fascinating questions. Would Diaz be the guy to finally push St. Pierre into a fight? Prefight trash talk hasn't seemed to work, but what about when it happens in the cage? And what if Diaz managed to impose his boxing early? Could we finally see St. Pierre uncomfortable?

Final thought: Even though St. Pierre has gone the distance in his last three fights, they were all basically over by the second round. If Diaz has shown anything, it's that even if he's in trouble, the fight ain't ever over. That, in itself, makes this matchup a must-see.

Bring Nick back to the UFC and let's see what he can do. He was a bada$$ in the UFC before he went to Strikeforce.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think GSP will get phased by any pre-fight trash talk. Penn, Serra, and Koscheck couldn't even make GSP change his expression. Diaz may or may not go a little farther with his antics, but St. Pierre seems too professional and strong minded to fall into that game.

I would love to see this fight, but I have a feeling that GSP's takedowns and wrestling may be too much for Diaz which could make for a boring fight. I won't count out Nick since he's very dangerous off his back and GSP's boxing is pretty good as well, so I'd like to see them stand for awhile.

Diaz will get taken down (more than once), but if he can prevent GSP from keeping him there for too long, this fight could play out in many different ways.

Comment

Working...
      X