No announcement yet.

What happened to the cheaper PPV's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the cheaper PPV's?

I remember being a kid and there being lower level PPV fights. IIRC, Hopkins had a PPV fight that was only like 20 bucks and Marquez had one that was like 25.

Is there a downside to having lower end PPV's?

I guess my logic here is that I'd definitely pay money for certain fights, but MOST PPV's are not worth the 60/70 dollar asking price.

Thoughts?

I guess they weren't making anymore money than they would on standard network, but limiting the audience. So it was actually hurting them.

If the fighter isn't popular enough for PPV then people aren't going to buy it whatever the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
      I guess they weren't making anymore money than they would on standard network, but limiting the audience. So it was actually hurting them.

If the fighter isn't popular enough for PPV then people aren't going to buy it whatever the price.
      Yeah, that could definitely be the case. Was there ever one of the lower-end PPV's that performed very well? Or did they all bomb?

Comment

prices of everything keeps increasing every year so ppv has to increase regardless of the quality of the show. but i do agree, there should be a lower price for ppv events that are not that big.

Comment

The American pay per view price is ridiculous. I begrudge paying 15 quid for a ppv in the UK lol

Comment

Originally posted by WesternChamp View Post
            prices of everything keeps increasing every year so ppv has to increase regardless of the quality of the show. but i do agree, there should be a lower price for ppv events that are not that big.
            I get that.

I also feel like having lower priced PPV's will make fights happen quicker. Hypothetically, promoters wouldn't have to wait for a fight to build into the $60 PPV range

Comment

Greed is what happened, after seeing just how much numbers they did with the $100 Floyd Pac fight they decided the price doesn’t matter to people and they want to milk as much possible out the customer.

Maybe if they start happening more frequently the price will drop but most likely not.

Comment

Everything is worth w/e someone is willing to pay for it. I'm sure they've done survey's & got stats on what people are willing or not willing to pay for certain caliber fights. I theorize Arum is on top of this unlike anyone else cuz he's got a PPV blueprint that he damn near follows to a tee everytime & I bet he gots the stats to back up why he does exactly that each time out. Although if this next PPV is a doubleheader with Bud + Manny co-headlining than that'll be unusual for Arum & could suggest him playing around with his usual strategy or altering it cuz he's not really known as a guy putting more than one name/one fight of interest on a PPV.

And there is that consumer dynamic, forget what its called, where if you price something too low the masses see less value in it than if you priced the same product higher thus you hurt your overall profitability.

Its more complicated than it used to be cheaper, now its more expensive doe is what I'm getting at.

Comment

Working...
                X