No announcement yet.

Not having sex before a fight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not having sex before a fight.

I've heard that boxers try not to have sex before a fight so they're at their best. Is this true? Does sex before a fight have any effect on a boxer's performance?

doubt it helps, just one of them myths. Pretty sure sex increases testosterone, as you would expect.

Comment

Cus d amato didnt believe sex would hurt a fighter. He thought is was more about the going out late and hanging around partying and trying to pick up girls that was draining

Comment

It's a myth. Trainers did not want their fighters getting distracted with women while in training camp. A big part of the fight is mental, and a fighter needs to be focused on his training and fully committed. Troubles with women would hinder their training. I actually knew a pro fighter whose career never got off the ground because he was always at odds with his fiancé. He had the physical skill and talent to be successful but he couldn't focus mentally.

Comment

I think not having sex is more a mental/chemical thing than physical thing.

I know I find myself more aggressive & focused when I've not nut in a few days. Nutting calms me down & shifts my body down. I think I'd rather be feeling like the former rather than the latter going into a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            I actually knew a pro fighter whose career never got off the ground because he was always at odds with his fiancé. He had the physical skill and talent to be successful but he couldn't focus mentally.
            A lot of women destroy a man's career regardless of the profession. They create stress while he's in the workplace and if a man can't control that and educate her on how that needs to be handled, you're in for a mess. (i.e. a soldier overseas)

I'd go a long time with no sex when tournaments were coming up. The focus does help.
            Last edited by Lomadeaux; 01-16-2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I don't think many ever claimed that it was a chemical performance enhancer. You see people calling that part a myth, but it's more of a strawman than a myth.

Lack of sex/intimacy stills removes life's most potent distraction & leaves surplus energy for training.

Just like "no-fap" may not be a chemical enhancer. It's still emotionally healthier not to beat off to other men having sex & you inevitably become less of an "observer" of life, less depressed, more focused on fine tuning your own reality.
              Last edited by ////; 01-16-2018, 10:07 AM.
              FinlandsFinest FinlandsFinest likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
                doubt it helps, just one of them myths. Pretty sure sex increases testosterone, as you would expect.
                Nah, I don't think so. Boxers really don't have sex before fights. Even during camps.

Comment

... hepls in a lot of different sports.

Comment

Here is my personal experience. I have always respected this rule cause this is what was told to me by my trainer who was taught that by his trainer. For my last professional fight I was training hard like i always did. But this time i was breaking this rule. So i can say I was doing it like 3x a week. The funny thing was that i was excelling in the gym sparring with good opposition, i was kicking ass & almost untouchable. I was so loose, that i thought to myself, DAMN i'm feeling freaking awesome, this sex thing must be a myth. Well on the day of the fight i was feeling amazing! The bell rings for the 1st round (I was fighting a southpaw), well I was moving & slipping punches perfectly until I got hit with a left cross...KAAABOOOOM!!! All of a sudden, My legs became soooo heavy like cement. I couldn't do any lateral movement & I literally threw out my fight plan (that we worked so hard to achieved) & had to settle for a brawl for it all. The results was a split decision lost. My fans all swore that i did well, but deep down inside I felt terrible & accepted my defeat No excuses it's part of boxing, the one that is more discipline is the one that will succeed 9/10 times. So to make a long story short... don't do it, stay focus & discipline
                    CubanGuyNYC CubanGuyNYC likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X