Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Guys Really Consider MMA A "Sport"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ylem View Post
    give either of the klitschos 3 months training to prep for a bout and they would destroy any one in the ufc.

hell lennox lewis would probably do pretty well if he trained correctly need more then 3 months though maybe a year
    I agree, boxers are more skilled, higher caliber athletes then MMA fighters. If a WWE wrestler like Brock Lesnar can come in and make the top level MMA "athletes" look foolish, just imagine what a Roy Jones Jr in his better years or the Klitschos could do after a certain amount of training.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. President View Post
      I agree, boxers are more skilled, higher caliber athletes then MMA fighters. If a WWE wrestler like Brock Lesnar can come in and make the top level MMA "athletes" look foolish, just imagine what a Roy Jones Jr in his better years or the Klitschos could do after a certain amount of training.
      yeah...you forget that Brock has 20+ years of Amateur Wrestling experience to back his skills up. Sorry but this whole "Brock Lesnar was a WWE wrestler and now won a title in MMA so MMA is bull****" theory is whack. Because his WWE **** has nothing to do with the fact that he wins his fights. FOLKSTYLE WRESTLING and PRO WRESTLING are two completely different things...hmm imagine what Roy Jones would do in MMA...get kicked round, eat a few knees and elbows, get taken down or thrown, then eat a for more punches, elbows, knees, and maybe get locked up in a submission.

Comment

• Originally posted by Left2theliver View Post
        yeah...you forget that Brock has 20+ years of Amateur Wrestling experience to back his skills up. Sorry but this whole "Brock Lesnar was a WWE wrestler and now won a title in MMA so MMA is bull****" theory is whack. Because his WWE **** has nothing to do with the fact that he wins his fights. FOLKSTYLE WRESTLING and PRO WRESTLING are two completely different things...hmm imagine what Roy Jones would do in MMA...get kicked round, eat a few knees and elbows, get taken down or thrown, then eat a for more punches, elbows, knees, and maybe get locked up in a submission.
        Stop taking my words out of context. I said they'd dominate after a certain amount of time training meaning they'd learn BJJ, wrestling, kicks, etc. and as the superior athletes they'd pick that stuff up a lot faster then MMA fighters do.

Here's where i kill your Brock Lesnar arguement. You claim Brock is successful in MMA because he has years of wrestling experience previous to his stint in the WWE, but what you completely failed to take into account before making your goofy arguement is all of Brocks wins (besides the 2nd Mir fight) were won because of his striking game which throws your "he's only dominating the MMA world because of his wrestling background" arguement out the window.

He's also won every single stand up exchange he's had in the UFC thus far against the top HW's MMA has to offer, and he's only been training stand up for a short period of time. So now that i put that into perspective for you, let's hear your next excuse for how a wrestler from the WWE can come to the UFC after a few months of training and be one of the best strikers in the sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elemental Fist View Post
          Actually MMA is available in other parts of the world other than the US and Japan, Art Of War is doing well in China (and its more Pride than the so-called successor Dream in my opinion), there are tons of MMA tournaments in Russia (that Ustinov used to take part in before he went pro boxing), there are MMA promotions in Canada, there MMA events that take place in Brazil like the famous Jungle Fights events held by BJJ legend Wallid Ismail that was used to also raise environmental issues of the Brazilian rain forests (an MMA event that promotes positive message? *gasps* Never....),there are also MMA promotions in the UK while not as popular as boxing or football (soccer), it still has a somewhat respectable following over here.

None of these promotions have made any sort of impact in their respective countries,sure there are always going to be these low key MMA one night tournaments in Eastern Europe but it doesn't attract any great deal of attention and anytime MMA(ultimate fighting or cage fighting) does attract attention in Europe it's usually negative.

Cage Rage was the biggest MMA promotion in Europe and now it's dead,there is no possible way for the small regional promotions like Cag Warriors to achieve any great deal of success,what killed Cage Rage eventually was the UFC moving into the UK market and promoting events there and taking their biggest names away from them.

Originally posted by Elemental Fist View Post
          MMA won't die in Japan because Japan is where MMA started before it was known as MMA, Shooto is the oldest running MMA promotion since the late 80's, it may not be as popular as it was during the Pride years but I doubt it will go away.
          No it won't die,but it's as good as done in the mainstream and major interest dwindeled before Pride died.

Using Crocop as an example wasn't a good choice for today's times since he had some unimpressive fights recently, however back then Crocop was light on his feet and I'm sure is takedown training must've been long.
          Cro Flop is done at this point,both mentally and physically but at his prime he was defending the takedowns of legitimate world class wrestlers with ease

Watch his first fight with Wanderlei Silva and then just four months later his fight with Sakuraba,granted he out weighed Sakuraba by 25 pounds but he still had showed a great improvement on his takedown defense.

the point is MMA fanboys act like it is impossible to learn such a defense,sure it takes a hell of alot of training but it's not impossible be any means.

Also may remind you that Ustinov is a former MMA fighter, and he's doing well in boxing, you see it goes both ways if you have the tools to succeed in both sports.
          When he fights a decent contender then come back to me,when you fight other bums then you are a bum,he has a good chin but is a big lumbering oaf.

Originally posted by sunthunder View Post
          a) You're getting the ability levels of those wrestlers wrong. Lesnar is the best out of all of them. Coleman and Randleman have better wrestling credentials than Couture on paper, but neither have good gas tanks, nor are they good at setting up their takedowns like Randy is.
          I really do hope this is a joke?

:Lesnar is a NCAA Champion
          :Randleman is a two time NCAA champion
          :Coleman is a NCAA champion who also wrestled on an world class level.

Lesnar's competition was limited to the best in the country and he never beat Stephen Neal either

b) Crocop has a better build for MMA than either of the Klitschkos. The technique of a good sprawl is flattening your hips to the floor and getting all your weight on top of your opponent. The taller you are, the more difficult this is to do. There are a number of other K-1 fighters of Crocops callibre who tryed MMA and didn't do well. Peter Aerts got taken down and submitted by a 183lb fighter with a 7-12 record. Alexey Ignashov lost to a very subpar opponent in his second MMA fight. Errol Zimmerman and Stefan Leko lost to a 183lb fighter. Matt Skelton lost his only MMA fight. Furthermore, Crocops legs are colossal and he has a lot of power in his lower body, which helped him a lot in the clinch. I think if there was a boxer to cross into MMA who could have success, it'd be a guy like Tua. Low centre of gravity, short limbs.
          There is no correct build for MMA or any combat sport and to suggest otherwise is stupid and wrong,the technique of a good sprawl comes from actually learning one.

Let me make this as clear as possible so delusional MMA fanboys such as yourself can understand -

Aerts,Skelton,Ignashov,Zimmerman and Leko were there to earn a cheque,nothing else,their failures would do nothing to hurt the credibility of the K-1 organisation as most were starting to see it as a comical joke to begin with.Besides, they never made the full transition that Cro Flop did.

I also like this quote from David Haye:

"I've rolled around with MMA guys in the past - and even use British mixed martial artist James Zikic for sparring - and I know how hard it is to fight these guys. They are very physically strong and are very dangerous in the clinch and on the ground. Those are two positions that pro boxers are not used to. Also, despite always starting on my feet with these guys, I was finding myself taken to the mat eight times out of 10. That gives me a two in 10 chance of landing a hard punch and knocking my MMA opponent out. If Enzo can't land that bingo shot right away - and Bisping would be looking for it - he's likely to get kneed to hell and back or submitted in the blink of an eye. It really is apples and oranges."

Keep in mind those guys he was sparring were in all probability poor wrestlers.

I really like this qoute to be honest:

“I look at the UFC audience and the boxing audience as being two different audiences entirely. Our audience in boxing is ethnic, Hispanic, Filipino, Puerto Rican, Mexican and the hard core boxing fan who can’t watch, like me, UFC. The UFC are a bunch of skinhead white guys watching people in the ring who also look like skinhead white guys. 90% of the people in the audience wear tattoos. For me and people like me, it is not something they ever care to see. They watched it, it’s horrible, guys rolling around like ****sexuals on the ground. I mean it’s not a sport that shows great, great talent. The guys who throw punches can’t throw a punch to save their ass, when the punches land, the guys have no chins. These guys are not like boxers.There is no way the (UFC 100) pay-per-view generated the kind of numbers they put out. I know what the numbers were — south of one million. They’re not a public company. Who’s to check?”
          Last edited by Bigmacpoper; 10-02-2009, 07:59 AM.

Comment

if it's so easy then why aren't you in there making money?

Comment

Stop taking my words out of context. I said they'd dominate after a certain amount of time training meaning they'd learn BJJ, wrestling, kicks, etc. and as the superior athletes they'd pick that stuff up a lot faster then MMA fighters do.

Here's where i kill your Brock Lesnar arguement. You claim Brock is successful in MMA because he has years of wrestling experience previous to his stint in the WWE, but what you completely failed to take into account before making your goofy arguement is all of Brocks wins (besides the 2nd Mir fight) were won because of his striking game which throws your "he's only dominating the MMA world because of his wrestling background" arguement out the window.

He's also won every single stand up exchange he's had in the UFC thus far against the top HW's MMA has to offer, and he's only been training stand up for a short period of time. So now that i put that into perspective for you, let's hear your next excuse for how a wrestler from the WWE can come to the UFC after a few months of training and be one of the best strikers in the sport.
              He beat Couture and Herring standing? So what? Neither are good strikers. They are both wrestlers. Mir was beating him standing which is why Brock took Mir down in the 2nd round after he landed a big knee on Brock. He's won by strikes on the ground. That's what you fail to comprehend. He took Herring and Mir down with his wrestling not his boxing. It's more about his wrestling and positioning on the ground than his boxing. He certainly didn't win the Herring fight because of his standup alone. He dropped Herring in the 1st with a punch, but after that it was all wrestling in the 2nd and 3rd round. Herring is not a top hw.Your mma "knowledge" is truly awful. Couture is an amazing 16-10.

Brock's not anywhere near one of the best strikers in the sport. Lol seriously. One of the most ignorant and stupid statements in internet history. Outstriking 2 wrestlers makes you one of the best strikers? You truly have no clue. Fedor, Yvel, Rizzo, Overeem, Kongo, Aleksander, Kharitonov, and Arlovski are way better strikers than him. And that's just in the hw division. You claimed him to be one of the best in the sport. Lol once again.

Comment

Working...
              X