Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gennady Golovkin vs. Carlos Monzon.

Who would win this MW fight?

How about Golovkin vs Canelo?

No point making these types of threads we haven't seen Golovkins full potential yet until he fights elite fighters.

Comment

I have been A Massive GGG fan! I believe he has ATG potential. He has the got the names around him to acquire a HOF resume.

But we can't compare him yet with ATG's like Monzon, Hopkins, Hagler etc.

Though i believe in GGG and he will be amongst them names when he retires.

Comment

Too close for me to call so I'll call it a 50-50 even fight. Monzon was great but not invincible. He was held to a draw be career welterweight Emile Griffith in case people think I'm crazy to give GGG an even chance to win. GGG has won over 30 fights without a loss. He had over 400 amateur fights and won almost all of them. He has 14 defenses of his WBA world title and won them all by KO. I think he can be compared with great fighters of the past. Let's face it, if he knocked out Cotto and Canelo and Ward many would still say it's too soon to compare him with the all time greats.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
          Too close for me to call so I'll call it a 50-50 even fight. Monzon was great but not invincible. He was held to a draw be career welterweight Emile Griffith in case people think I'm crazy to give GGG an even chance to win. GGG has won over 30 fights without a loss. He had over 400 amateur fights and won almost all of them. He has 14 defenses of his WBA world title and won them all by KO. I think he can be compared with great fighters of the past. Let's face it, if he knocked out Cotto and Canelo and Ward many would still say it's too soon to compare him with the all time greats.
          He knocked Griffith out and beat him by unanimous decision in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            Monzon beat Griffith in both of their fights.

Comment

To early to tell about GGG, but right now I take Monzon beating GGG up late after 6 or 7 rounds

Comment

Their records aren't remotely comparable but I've watched quite a few of Monzon's big fights and I like Golovkin's chances head to head.

Monzon had a size advantage on most of his opponents at 160, but his power was average enough (not a huge puncher, 58% KO) and he wasn't that hard to find with punches and exchanged regularly enough for Golovkin to make his power count.

I think it's going to be tough for Golovkin to be outboxed at 160 for 12 rounds, I think a winning opponent has to hurt him, entirely possible since he doesn't seem to mind taking punches in some of his fights but they also need to be durable.
                Last edited by Weebler I; 05-18-2015, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Hey where's the poll?

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                    How about Golovkin vs Canelo?

No point making these types of threads we haven't seen Golovkins full potential yet until he fights elite fighters.
                    Full potential would've been Golovkin taking Nelo's bluff at 155 long ago... instead of Floyd at 154...

Now we will settle for Nelo beating Golovkin at the Middleweight "limit."

Comment

Working...
                    X