No announcement yet.

Colorado woman's $8,000 tax bill leaves her in tears

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] Colorado woman's $8,000 tax bill leaves her in tears

Isadora Bielsky's tax bill this year brought her to tears. Last year, her family of four's refund topped $3,600. This year, the Colorado family owed in the thousands.

"I plugged it all in and at first I thought oh my goodness we're getting $8,000 back and then I realized it was the wrong color … so I went back in and checked everything and then I started to cry," Bielsky said.

Many Americans are learning their tax refund is not as much as they expected, or they are receiving a big tax bill. The average refund compared to last year has dropped nearly nine percent, according to the IRS. This is the first tax season since the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act went into effect.

Owing just over $8,000 was bad enough but Bielsky said it felt even worse because last year, she went on the IRS website to make sure the government withheld enough taxes from her and her husband's paychecks.

"I have a PhD in neuroscience, my husband had an MD. If we can't figure this out, and we can't rely on the IRS and their calculators to give us the right information, what are we supposed to do?" Bielsky said.

Welp, I think she will be ok, sucks though.

Wait people are mad that rich people are paying more taxes?

Comment

Yeah 2 highly educated and likely highly paid people complaining about spending a small percentage of their yearly income

Comment

There needs to be context to this story, cause the media is going to try to spin this negatively to its best ability.

Lots of RICH folks are going to be hurt by this tax bill, especially if they own several properties. You can write off only up to 10K on your home, and the value of the home that could be written off has dropped from 1 million to 500K. Guaranteed when these people who have to pay more in taxes most are making 250K+.

On the flip side,

Take your average American who makes say 60K between him and his wife and they live in a 250K home and have 2 kids.

Now they can write off 24K with the standard deduction instead of 12K, and they recieve an extra 2K for their kids as well.

It will be a net gain for 70+% of Americans.

Comment

People that make good money pay taxes every year. That's nothing new. I believe she's lying about getting $3600 back last year. No way a doctor is receiving a tax refund lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Lopez_Boxing View Post
            People that make good money pay taxes every year. That's nothing new. I believe she's lying about getting $3600 back last year. No way a doctor is receiving a tax refund lol.
            I agree with the guy above who said there probably needs to be more context.

There were years when I made a lot and got pretty substantial breaks because of certain factors and other years where I had to pay quite a bit earning similar income.

I haven't looked at my taxes yet. I don't want to. LOL.

Comment

This is a refund, not an indicator of total taxes paid.

Plenty of people are seeing smaller refunds, but in the big picture are paying less in total Income Taxes.

This gal may have a PhD, but she's a fool in terms of basic Economics.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
                Wait people are mad that rich people are paying more taxes?
                Originally posted by lparm View Post
                Yeah 2 highly educated and likely highly paid people complaining about spending a small percentage of their yearly income
                Everyone got a tax cut doe.

don't try to change the subject

Comment

Originally posted by Lopez_Boxing View Post
                  why would you think that. If they over paid they get a refund. Its simple actually and happens millions of times every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
                    why would you think that. If they over paid they get a refund. Its simple actually and happens millions of times every year.
                    I think that because when you make doctor money you pay taxes during tax time. Lol. Df. These people aren't Making 40 grand..

Comment

Working...
                    X