No announcement yet.

Canelo Alvarez vs. Paul Williams

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo Alvarez vs. Paul Williams

I wonder what would have happened had that fight taken place.

It was finalized for Showtime Pay-Per-View and then Williams had his motorcycle accident and was paralyzed for life. He was replaced by Kirkland, then Victor Ortiz and then Josesito Lopez.

I remember that date was called the curse of Canelo because everyone kept getting derailed from the fight.

I actually picked Williams to win that fight. I felt he was a big step up for Canelo at the time and could have beaten him. The style was all wrong for Canelo.

That fight could have changed the course of Canelo's career.

Canelo would have won, wide UD.

Comment

Canelo counters the **** out of him and probably stops him.

Williams was good, but he gets overrated now.

Warrior though and he gets my full respect. Hope he is doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        Canelo counters the **** out of him and probably stops him.

Williams was good, but he gets overrated now.

Warrior though and he gets my full respect. Hope he is doing well.
        Yeah he was definitely finished after the Sergio KO. Great dude. Wish his condition on no one. Wish him the best

Comment

yeah. paul was his worst enemy. his style, such as it was, was counterproductive. sure, it won him many fights but would have cost him vs top guys.

he would have walked into a punch he didnt see coming. either early or the 9th

Comment

Well if he throws about 100 punches per round, like he usually did, I can see him winning a decision, like he did against Winky Wright, but he could also get caught and get knocked out early. At that point, I'd probably go with Williams, if he used volume and some reach. I also heard, since it was a PPV fight, that it would've been Williams' biggest payday. At least he saved most of his money, unlike a lot of other fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

It was finalized for Showtime Pay-Per-View and then Williams had his motorcycle accident and was paralyzed for life. He was replaced by Kirkland, then Victor Ortiz and then Josesito Lopez.

I remember that date was called the curse of Canelo because everyone kept getting derailed from the fight.

I actually picked Williams to win that fight. I felt he was a big step up for Canelo at the time and could have beaten him. The style was all wrong for Canelo.

Thats right I had forgotten about Kirkland, its some crazy sh that Kirkland was the 1st to get derailed after Williams but got the fight way later anyways. Then Ortiz' bîtch ass got his jaw broken by Josesito Lopez when that was supposed to be a tune-up 4 him before Canelo, he was winning that fight badly too,but Lopez pulled that warrior heart out of nowhere & broke his jaw w a hail Mary haymaker.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

I think it could've gone 1 of 2 ways,

#1.It could be a much closer version of canelo vs trout because Williams was more imposing than Trout.
                Or

#2.Williams would've been a more aggressive version of the trout fight where canelo kd & bambi legged him,& unlike Trout who went into survival mode in a fight he knew he needed to be more aggressive with open scoring where he knew he was losing early but still tried just to survive, Williams would've gone for broke & would've probably gotten ko'd as his chin wasn't as good as trouts imo. But Williams was a great fighter who at the time I picked to beat mayweather.

Comment

I think he could've beaten Canelo, especially then. I mean this was in 2012. Canelo was good back then too, sure, but now he has improved with time. I think it would have been close decision back then, but Canelo of today would have beaten him for sure

But thats just my guess, I dont know **** about boxing anyway. but its an interesting match up, shame that we never saw it and shame what happened to Paul. Seemed to be a good guy, hope he is doing fine nowadays and has enough money to live comfortably

Comment

Respect to Paul Williams he was a tough guy and fun fighter to watch but I think Canelo would’ve countered the hell out of him and maybe even stopped him. Paul was too predictable and didn’t switch up his attack much. Would’ve been a good fight for the first 4-6 rounds then Canelo would’ve figured out his timing just like Martinez did and won clearly I think. Good fight though. To me Canelo-Martinez would’ve been a better fight just because of his ability to move and do different things in there. Like use his legs.

Comment

Working...
                    X