Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come ppl say Marciano isn't the greatest of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrokenHat View Post
    A completely faded, old, out of shape Louis hung with Marciano well, for half the fight before tiring.

A prime Joe Louis would've koed Marciano, if you take that fight as evidence, because that Louis was 1/10 of the fighter he used to be. He had to work so hard just to get back into some semblance of shape. The dude was old and fat.
    marciano was carrying louis he said it himself he felt bad for louis cause the guy was his freakin childhood hero.

Comment

Marciano was the greatest heavyweight during his era. He was very tough. The win over Louis though has to be looked at in context. Louis was an older fighter by that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmie Smalls View Post
        I don't know how you can rate Dempsey above Johnson but I guess that's another thread.
        Dempsey was a beast and his style is what made him because to this day many boxing greats took his style from Frazier to Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
          the odd thing is, if you take a good look at the photos, he has the arm length of a short guy, not a guy who is nearly 6 feet tall. Particularly the ulnar length, is pretty short ( which is used in hospitals to estimate height in patients who cant stand up to be measured).
          Mike Tyson has short arms, but have you ever seen a picture of Marciano's fist I could swear there the size of someone who's 6 foot 5

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
            Mike Tyson has short arms, but have you ever seen a picture of Marciano's fist I could swear there the size of someone who's 6 foot 5
            he certainly does have big hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley Hyena View Post
              What was it 62-0? In there somewhere. That's darn great. But, retiring undefeated is not as indicative of greatness as you might think. The GOAT, Julio Cesar Chavez, won his first 87 fights in a row.

Marciano not as great as Joe Louis or Ali. Strength of competition is mainly the reason. As a matter of fact, if you wanna simply concentrate on "whiteness", its a very simple fact in boxing that Jack Dempsey was the greatest white HW that ever lived. I put him number three behind Louis and Ali. Rocky in top 10.
              62-0???who Marciano???he was 49-0 and thats commone knowlege

Comment

People say Ali is the greatest because of who he fought, ( a who's who of great heavys in their primes) and also what he did/and stood for outside the ring. Rock a great too,but factor in what Ali did, and he probably gets the nod with most.

Comment

louis wasn't just old, he was fighting purely for money too so his heart wasn't in it at all. that said he was hella old too, waaay past his prime.

but as great as he was in his prime he was still a fairly dangerous fighter and a decent win on marcianos resume. but as far as the two of them fighting in their respective primes you really can't take anything away from that fight, louis was a shell of his former self in every aspect.

in his prime he would knock marciano out, different class of fighters. which isnt saying marciano wasnt great, he was. but louis in his prime was a different animal even compared to other greats, only one above him is ali who is the greatest of them all. the recently crowned king of boxing and rightfully so, heavyweight boxing anyways.

Comment

Working...
                  X