No announcement yet.

MW division is pathetic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L33tboxingdewd View Post
    LOL how is Groves a level below DeGale, when he beat him?

Hahahahahah
    You got me there.

But I'd bet you that the fight would go a lot differently now which is partly why Groves hasn't shown much interest in a rematch.

Comment

I think the MW division is getting too much stick in this forum but it isn't any worse or any less deep than heavyweight and still manages to be superior to cruiserweight (a division being lauded by quite a few posters in another thread).

The issue with MW is that it is a division going through a transitional period, after Martinez cleared it out with wins over Pavlik, Williams, JCC, Barker, Macklin and Murray. Now some people who have only started watching boxing with the addition of GGG will say some of those names were useless, they may start with JCC. Now, before facing Martinez, JCC beat Zbik, Rubio and Lee and was clearly the worthiest of contender after Martinez wiped the floor with Pavlik and Williams.

Barker/Murray/Macklin were all top contenders vying for the belt and Murray showed against GGG that he is a solid, durable and skilled fighter who without the brilliance of Martinez or power of GGG would have been a champion. As that generation has started to fade, a somewhat good division is starting to dive into mediocrity but Cotto and GGG are still bright lights and Lee, Murray, Quillin and Geale are still worthy top 10 guys. It's a better mix than cruiserweight and probably on par with heavyweight.

Comment

Cruiserweight is way better than 160.

Marco Huck, Lebedev, Yoan Pablo Hernandez, Grigory Drozd, Diablo, Chakhkiev. Usyk is coming up.

No contest really.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          You got me there.

But I'd bet you that the fight would go a lot differently now which is partly why Groves hasn't shown much interest in a rematch.
          Nothing to indidcate that. Groves had his number in the amateurs, and had it in the professional ranks too.

DeGale is yet to fight anybody worth mentioning outside of Groves. Groves lost to Froch - that doesn't mean he'd lose to DeGale in a rematch.

Groves hasn't shown interest in the rematch becauyse there's much better options out there. Why should he fight someone he already beat, when that boxer hasn't beat any notable name to earn a rematch?

Comment

Originally posted by L33tboxingdewd View Post
            Groves hasn't shown interest in the rematch becauyse there's much better options out there. Why should he fight someone he already beat, when that boxer hasn't beat any notable name to earn a rematch?
            What better options does Groves have now that would make him more money than a Degale fight in England?

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
              I would rather GGG stay at 160 than move up to 168 and fight at a catchweight because he can't make 168 after training camp. Once he has devoured everything at 160 and can build his body properly to move up and remain at 168, and if he can get some quality fights guaranteed at that weight, then he should move up. But not until then.
              Of course you would, it makes your panties wet watching GGG slap the crap out of one second rate no hoper after another. I would much rather see him take on a quality opponent and see if the tools he brings are actually good enough to beat a top shelf fighter. He needs to hurry up, at 33 the clocks ticking

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                What better options does Groves have now that would make him more money than a Degale fight in England?
                A title shot would make a lot more sense.

Maybe not quite as much money, but ultimately would be a much more meaningful fight.

After making close to 10 million pounds from rematch with Froch, I doubt he's too worried about money-fights.

DeGale needs to earn his shot at the rematch to make it really financially sound.

Comment

The handbook for American fanboy translation...

"MW division is pathetic"

TRANSLATION for rest of the world...

"America have just got their asses kicked out of the MW division"

American language actually IS more streamlined and compressed with fewer words really. You just gotta know how to "flip the spin".

Comment

Working...
                  X