No announcement yet.

Most talented boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most talented boxer?

Who was the best in terms of raw talent?

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Who was the best in terms of raw talent?
    robinson had the fewest physical flaws

he had size and reach at WW (hell with a same day weigh in he was still a rangy MW)
    a great chin
    speed / fleetness
    and knockout power in either hand.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      robinson had the fewest physical flaws

he had size and reach at WW (hell with a same day weigh in he was still a rangy MW)
      a great chin
      speed / fleetness
      and knockout power in either hand.

Yep, in terms of attributes you'd have a hard time finding a better specimen than Robinson. Leonard is a good specimen in terms of attributes too.

But the thread concerned 'raw talent' and in all my years of watching the best boxers in history, I'm afraid that prime Roy Jones jnr is probably the most 'talented' and skilled boxer I have ever seen.

Comment

I would say ray robinson very few flaws
        roy jones is also a fantastic talent as well

Comment

SRR
          SRL
          RJJ
          Roberto Duran (His problem was work ethic)

Takashi Uchiyama for me :X
          Last edited by Japanese Boxing; 11-02-2012, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Tommy Hearns I feel deserves mention. Roy's athletisism was freaky too...but Hearns looks like a nightmare incarnated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Yep, in terms of attributes you'd have a hard time finding a better specimen than Robinson. Leonard is a good specimen in terms of attributes too.

But the thread concerned 'raw talent' and in all my years of watching the best boxers in history, I'm afraid that prime Roy Jones jnr is probably the most 'talented' and skilled boxer I have ever seen.

for me, the tools that you bring to boxing are your speed / quickness, your power, and your chin. if you don't want to include the chin, then you might be right. jones wasn't a puncher at SMW and LHW like robinson at WW, but he was much faster.

jones chin wasn't mush certainly, but it wasn't great. robinson was stopped once in a gazillion fights, and that was via heat exhaustion against an ATG at LHW. jones jaw liquified when tarver cracked him. sure, he was probably effected by the weight, but he was out for a long time . that chin was probably never superb. he never had it really tested in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                for me, the tools that you bring to boxing are your speed / quickness, your power, and your chin. if you don't want to include the chin, then you might be right. jones wasn't a puncher at SMW and LHW like robinson at WW, but he was much faster.

jones chin wasn't mush certainly, but it wasn't great. robinson was stopped once in a gazillion fights, and that was via heat exhaustion against an ATG at LHW. jones jaw liquified when tarver cracked him. sure, he was probably effected by the weight, but he was out for a long time . that chin was probably never superb. he never had it really tested in his prime.

I don't think Jones's chin needs to be an issue in a thread about 'raw talent'. He was knocked down once in the first 15 years of his career. Most careers don't last 10 years.....

I'm convinced that his chin deteriorated after his move to heavyweight regardless. He took plenty of cracks before then to no ill effect.

Comment

Roy Jones Jr and George Foreman

Comment

yall must ov forgot

Comment

Working...
                    X