Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever been through what Margo has been through and won a major fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever been through what Margo has been through and won a major fight?

Margo seems like a unique situation to me.

13 month layoff

At the age of 33.

1-2 in his last three fights.

In two of those fights he took vicious beatings.

Needed two major surgeries on his eye

Now he's in a major fight with no tune-ups before hand

Can somebody cite precedence for all this and a win?

I'm approaching this from a logical perspective.

No hate here.

He has an up hill battle that is for certain, and we have no clue how he will look after that awful beating he took at the hands of Pac. He should have fought some TJ taxi cab driver at home so he can shake off the rust and we can get a look at him. It makes me think he shouldn't be fighting and uncle Bob doesn't want that exposed before cashing him out.

Comment

Iran Barkley, 30 years old, lost to Duran then Nunn then got a severe beat down from Benn where he had to have some major eye surgery and a year lay off, 4 fights and 2 years later he beat Hearns.

Most similar situation I can think off, Barkley did win the 3 fights before Hearns though.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
        Margo seems like a unique situation to me.

13 month layoff

At the age of 33.

1-2 in his last three fights.

In two of those fights he took vicious beatings.

Needed two major surgeries on his eye

Now he's in a major fight with no tune-ups before hand

Can somebody cite precedence for all this and a win?

I'm approaching this from a logical perspective.

No hate here.
        that alone puts him in a class of his own, be hard press to find another boxer that went thru that and still fighting let along fighting on the headline

Comment

Originally posted by kimmiblob View Post
          that alone puts him in a class of his own, be hard press to find another boxer that went thru that and still fighting let along fighting on the headline
          I know Israel Vazquez had a few surgeries on his skin above his eye.

Which made it so easy to cut him open in the 4th Marquez fight.

Comment

Maybe Willie Pep, can't think of anyone else.

Comment

You need to take into account the fact that he's rematching somebody he already beat by knockout.

Comment

Sugar Ray Leonard had two surgeries as well...one to repair a detached retina prior to his 5 year layoff....and another minor surgery just prior to his first comeback fight. then he went on to fight hagler and got the decision

so he was off for 5 years, went up 10 pounds to middleweight, and beat hagler who hadn't lost a fight in like 10 years.
                Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 11-21-2011, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                  You need to take into account the fact that he's rematching somebody he already beat by knockout.

I do, but If the guy he beat was not very good I might take it more into account. But Cotto is still a decent fighter who's been more active.

You can't assume this is like Kermit fights, because all these things have happen to Margo in between.

Going into the original fight Margo had just destroyed Cintron in a high octane close quarters fight. Great prep for a big fight.

Margo fought a Gomez like he fought a sparring session. Crappy prep for Margo.

This time around no fight for Margo leading up.

Cotto fought Mayorga. Very decent prep for Margo

Makes for a closer fight IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                    Sugar Ray Leonard had two surgeries as well...one to repair a detached retina prior to his 5 year layoff....and another minor surgery just prior to his first comeback fight. then he went on to fight hagler and got the decision

so he was off for 5 years, went up 10 pounds to middleweight, and beat hagler who hadn't lost a fight in like 10 years.
                    Good example.

Comment

Working...
                    X