Collapse
No announcement yet.

Record eight medals for GB boxers at European championships

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank for the updates had to catch up this morning. Use lot are right about Okolie, something has gone wrong along the way. Even though he's got the equaliser, as a pro he seems to lack the reflexes because he has taken a flush punch or two so far.

Would like to have seen that 'special' talent myself. I'm going to follow the McCormack bros from now on because they've just got that grit & emotion (can't really find the right words) implemented in their style that can have it's pros and cons especially in the pros. Yafai too, he just needs to keep it basic, hit & move. Too much exchanging.

To put the boys performance into perspective, Josh Kelly who somewhat headlined the next gen card on Sky Sports this past Friday received a Bronze in these game. Granted he was an Olympian but still.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
      To put the boys performance into perspective, Josh Kelly who somewhat headlined the next gen card on Sky Sports this past Friday received a Bronze in these game. Granted he was an Olympian but still.
      That's true. I liked Kelly's style in the amateurs but never expected him to get such a fast start out of the block in the pros. But it's too early to confidently call him a special fighter just yet - who knows, maybe the same flaws that caused him to fall at the final hurdle in the ams will reappear in the pros. I hope not though

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
        Thank for the updates had to catch up this morning. Use lot are right about Okolie, something has gone wrong along the way. Even though he's got the equaliser, as a pro he seems to lack the reflexes because he has taken a flush punch or two so far.

Would like to have seen that 'special' talent myself. I'm going to follow the McCormack bros from now on because they've just got that grit & emotion (can't really find the right words) implemented in their style that can have it's pros and cons especially in the pros. Yafai too, he just needs to keep it basic, hit & move. Too much exchanging.

True and i'd put Kal Yafai in that bracket too. A very good amateur without setting the world alight, and he has been excellent as a pro so far. Not always easy to predict who will make the transition. But like NEETzsche says it would be great to see a really special talent come out of our am system.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
          That's true. I liked Kelly's style in the amateurs but never expected him to get such a fast start out of the block in the pros. But it's too early to confidently call him a special fighter just yet - who knows, maybe the same flaws that caused him to fall at the final hurdle in the ams will reappear in the pros. I hope not though
          Yeah true I wouldn't call Kelly a special fighter right now as he's just getting started. But as a class amateur he's definitely taking the transition well & got himself a good deal with Matchroom. Everything he'd wished for I bet.
          This 2017 squad on paper has equalled or surpassed his amateur achievement (poor McCormack) barring qualifying for the Olympics. Good start.

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          True and i'd put Kal Yafai in that bracket too. A very good amateur without setting the world alight, and he has been excellent as a pro so far. Not always easy to predict who will make the transition. But like NEETzsche says it would be great to see a really special talent come out of our am system.
          Kal's a good example & one for Kelly to follow.
          You're talking a Loma or Rigo type of talent, hardly breaking a sweat. I reckon AJ could have got back to back Gold. Those guys are technically supreme though. Would definitely be great to see one come along.

It's definitely a minefield when it comes to transitioning to the pros. It's tough to gauge what a Boxer would gauge as success as well. Take Ogogo for example. He received Bronze in the Olympics, got a deal with GBP, won couple dust ups & fought for a British title. Yes he lost but does simply fighting for the title count as success. I wish I fought for a title.
          Last edited by REMOVE SHARK 55; 06-25-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X