Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting page about sparring partners of famous boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Louis ...for many years Louis used George Fitch and Nathan Mann both men were from my home town and stayed friends with Louis for many years.

(Ch. of the World 175lb)Matt "Saad" Muhamed (Franklin).....in my gym he sparred with middleweight (amateur) Stevie Cotton, lightheavy (pro) Jerry "whimpy" Halstead, and pro heavyweight Ken Schmidt.

Willie Pep...sparred with Eddie Compo and Chico Vejia from New Haven and Waterbury respectfully.

Ray Leonard...in my gym sparred amateurs Victor Calderon, Gregory Blank
    pro Wilfredo Franco and George Ruiz.

(Ch. of the World 147lb)Marlon Starling...in my gym used Victor Calderon, Wilfredo Franco, George Ruiz. Ray Bright, Marcus Starks, Lenny Gagliardi, Steve Cotton.

(Ch. of the World 126lb) Leo Cruz...in my gym used Felix Marquez, Chino Ortega, Luigi Capatuano.

I'm sure theres many more my son would remember but heres a few notibles along with the greats from the past. Georgie Fitch helped me get started at my firsr gym and Mexican great Gaspar Ortega was another man who was very cherrished at my gym. Gaspar used to spar with my older brother Robert who he met in Mexico in the late 50's.

Ray.

Comment

Even though this forum has gone downhill, posts like this is the reason I still come here. Green k.

Comment

Thanks guys, I just stumbled across this by accident looking for sparring stories. It's updated frequently so it's something to follow. Floyd and manny's partners are interesting as are james toney's interesting anecdote about matthyse hitting harder than provo according to bradley

Comment

Hey that's where my signature comes from. lol Never noticed that page.

Comment

Working...
          X