No announcement yet.

American Boxers claiming countries other than USA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Boxers claiming countries other than USA

What do you guys make of this? What do you think it means?

Peter Quillin, Willie Monroe - Cuba
    Danny Garcia, Gabe Rosado - Puerto Rico (not another country, but...)
    Oscar DelaHoya, Brandon Rios, Victor Ortiz - Mexico
    Paulie Malinaggi - Italy
    Micky Ward - Ireland

Comment

Don't think anything of it for the most part. It depends on the individual and their history, but if a guy like Jessie Vargas has cultural ties to Mexico, he can represent both. It takes a certain kind of social ignorance to not understand this in the slightest.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post
        What do you guys make of this? What do you think it means?

What exactly are you trying to make of this?

Comment

Who's claiming another country? I've seen guys claim their own nationality which obviously can be American mixed with something else cuz America is diverse as f#ck in that way. Can't recall anyone claiming a country & acting like they aren't American really doe so I got no clue what this random person or notable person I don't f#cking know is talking about on twitter.

Maybe the closest thing I've seen is Paulie with his attempt to get a EBU title bout or whatever earlier this year, but I think he was born or was raised for many years in Italy so his connection to another country besides the US is realer than most. And I guess the Mexican warrior "style" is a popular thing to claim (f#ck even GGG is trying to claim that), but idk that thats trying to claim a country its just trying to claim a style that happens to be popular with a particular country that also happens to be arguably the most loyal country to pro boxing on the planet.

Comment

who cares, dont know why its any of spences business how other fighters want to market themselves

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Who's claiming another country? I've seen guys claim their own nationality which obviously can be American mixed with something else cuz America is diverse as f#ck in that way. Can't recall anyone claiming a country & acting like they aren't American really doe so I got no clue what this random person or notable person I don't f#cking know is talking about on twitter.

Maybe the closest thing I've seen is Paulie with his attempt to get a EBU title bout or whatever earlier this year, but I think he was born or was raised for many years in Italy so his connection to another country besides the US is realer than most. And I guess the Mexican warrior "style" is a popular thing to claim (f#ck even GGG is trying to claim that), but idk that thats trying to claim a country its just trying to claim a style that happens to be popular with a particular country that also happens to be arguably the most loyal country to pro boxing on the planet.
              Seems like GGG is pandering with all the "Mexican Style" crap.

I never liked this "Mexican Style" saying too much. It generalizes Mexican boxers as these plodding brawlers. JMM and Canelo are some that don't fit that mold.

Comment

Spence seems bitter retweeting that.

It's not as if those mentioned fighters threw a dart on the map and started "claiming that country", they have heritage.

Not to mention they aren't "claiming a country" rather acknowledging their heritage to market themselves which will help sell tickets via US citizens of that heritage.

Boxing is a niche sport and it helps to carve out your own demographic niche. For whatever reason the "American Patriot" gimmick doesn't work. Even Floyd had to play heel on top of that.

Like Miguel Cotto on Puerto Rican Day or Canelo on Cinco de Mayo, if African Americans supported their fighters Spence too would fight during the black history month
                Last edited by Box-Office; 12-03-2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Who does that? Rarely seen that done to be honest but she is around the sport more than us and see what is going on behind the scenes since she does PR. Not really a big deal though, if guys are American but also represent the country their Parents are originally from Haiti or Cuba or Mexico it is nothing wrong with that. Spence Jr Parents are Jamaican I seen his dad with a Jamaican flag during his fights

Last edited by sicko; 12-03-2016, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post
                    Seems like GGG is pandering with all the "Mexican Style" crap.
                    Oh absolutely he's pandering to the those loyal Mexican fans & the guys who enjoy that Mexican style of fighting.

I never liked this "Mexican Style" saying too much. It generalizes Mexican boxers as these plodding brawlers. JMM and Canelo are some that don't fit that mold.
                    Eh I mean everything is generalized to some degree. We are all unique snowflakes & blah blah blah, but largely we can generalize with solid enough success. I mean if a Mexican way of fighting wasn't a thing for a bigger clip of Mexican fighters than one would expect we wouldn't be talking about a Mexican style of fighting.

Comment

Working...
                    X