Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Boxing Addicts Now More Ably Enabled

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Boxing Addicts Now More Ably Enabled

by David P. Greisman - The boxing world is both bigger and smaller. The television networks deserve both credit and blame.

After all, it wasn’t too long ago that they were nearly all of what we had. It wasn’t too long ago that it required much more effort to be a boxing addict. We took what we could get, how we could get it and when we could get it.

That’s why I once spent a summer evening following the exciting war between Edwin Valero and Vicente Mosquera — not watching it live, but listening to a streaming audio broadcast and reading round-by-round recaps on a website’s message board. I wouldn’t actually see it until days later, when an illicit boxing video website offered the ability to download the bout.

We had to turn to the Internet, which became a lawless Wild West for boxing fans to thrive via piracy, all due to what the networks and promoters were not doing. They were not putting their libraries of fights online, nor were they marketing to the masses, not when they could make more money by putting far too many events on pay-per-view.

The Internet is far faster and much vaster than it was just six years ago. Now we don’t need to wait for someone, somewhere, to upload a file that could take hours to get onto our own computer. Now we can watch strawweight title fights airing from Japan, cruiserweight bouts emanating out of Australia, and everything from the earliest preliminary bouts to the main event in Germany and Great Britain. Now we can do this live on websites legal and otherwise. [Click Here To Read More]

Internet Boxing saved my life...

Thanks David,
    Great article. I am an obsessed boxing fan and have used the Internet to feed my addiction for years. As an expatriot American living in Munich, I enjoy free TV boxing on a regular basis, too. Now that Kathy Duva's Main Events has convinced NBC to play along, and has managed to put some good cards together, things are looking up in the USA.

Boxers behaving badly is interesting, but more compelling would be a regular, tabulated update from Ring or boxingscene, or any other platform on the subjects of boxing judges behaving badly, boxing referees behaving badly, and boxing promoters behaving badly. Creating a "Hall of Shame" for these groups might help put pressure on them. Ultimately, without federal oversight and sanctioning consequences little is likely to change, but it is worth a try.
    Particularly, boxing judges behaving badly have hurt the sport.
    My 2 cents....
    Joe Healy

Comment

Another excellent article, indeed the boxing fans today has their mouth open to a golden ****(the information superhighway) pissing all the fights from all weight division from every corner of the earth.

Comment

Beautiful article. As a boxing junkie and a pirate, I agree with everything he said.

Comment

We're still missing a lot of content even if we have a lot. Not really complaining, but there isn't enough boxing to make me only watch this sport.

Comment

Why is the 10 count always filled with Boxers Behaving Badly? It seems at least every 10 count there's at least 3 counts of BBB - this week it was half the list.

Maybe David can help me out here - I don't see anything wrong with Ring ranked #s 1 and 3 fighting for the Ring belt. Vacant belts help no one - as an organization you want a belted champion to be your standard bearer. If Ring #1 and #2 aren't fighting each other for whatever reason, then anyone ranked 3 and on are SOL.

I think the new way Ring is doing it is to prevent gridlocks and numerous vacant belts, which would be embarrassing for an organization. On the other hand I can see how promoters might try and manipulate the system to their advantage, but really its up to the Ring Magazine to call shenanigans on any blatant attempts at manipulating the system.

Comment

I remember being so angry when Cablevision forced its subscribers to switch over to digital cable back in '05/'06. As a child, I was spoiled with all the premium channels/PPV I had at my disposal because my dad had a friend who knew how to hack those old cable boxes with the red LED. But when we had to switch, I had to find another avenue to watch. Lo and behold, the internet became my best friend. I've been watching streams since the Mosley/Vargas fight. Piracy opened up a whole new dimension to being a boxing fan, and over the years, finding good streams has become less of a chore.

Comment

Apologies for the delayed response:

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                We're still missing a lot of content even if we have a lot. Not really complaining, but there isn't enough boxing to make me only watch this sport.
                Why would you only want to watch just one sport?

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                Why is the 10 count always filled with Boxers Behaving Badly? It seems at least every 10 count there's at least 3 counts of BBB - this week it was half the list.
                That's not true. In this case, this was a confluence of this being the first installment of The 10 Count in multiple weeks, while there also being several instances of significant legal cases in recent weeks.

In the previous six editions of The 10 Count, there were a combined total of 7 "Boxers Behaving Badly" entries.

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                Maybe David can help me out here - I don't see anything wrong with Ring ranked #s 1 and 3 fighting for the Ring belt. Vacant belts help no one - as an organization you want a belted champion to be your standard bearer. If Ring #1 and #2 aren't fighting each other for whatever reason, then anyone ranked 3 and on are SOL.

I think the new way Ring is doing it is to prevent gridlocks and numerous vacant belts, which would be embarrassing for an organization. On the other hand I can see how promoters might try and manipulate the system to their advantage, but really its up to the Ring Magazine to call shenanigans on any blatant attempts at manipulating the system.
                The Ring belt is meant to signify the lineal, true champion — not just the consensus No. 1 fighter. If you're changing things in order for the purpose of filling vacancies, then that completely takes away from the idea of having THE champion, instead of just, well, A champion.

When O'Neil Bell beat Jean Marc Mormeck years ago, it unified three of the cruiserweight world titles and put 1 vs. 2, signifying that Bell was THE man.

That's a lot different than Mikey Garcia beating Orlando Salido when there's still a claimaint in Chris John. You can make Garcia No. 1. But you can't make him THE man as champion just yet.

Comment

Back in the late 1970s boxing was removed from network TV entirely and there was no outlet for boxing fans to watch beyond going to see a live fight.

Comment

Working...
                  X