Head Movement, or Footwork

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Movement, or Footwork

I'd like to know what you guys think is a more effective defensive maneuver

Personally i think when you desire to be aggressive, which is probably my main motive, i like to move my head more than my legs. but i do always work on footwork

Originally posted by thatjamaicanguy View Post
    I'd like to know what you guys think is a more effective defensive maneuver

Personally i think when you desire to be aggressive, which is probably my main motive, i like to move my head more than my legs. but i do always work on footwork
    You're right, it does depend on the style. I'm aggressive and like to come forward so I have to move my head alot. My footwork is rarely defensive, it's all about going forward and cutting off the ring.

My opponent usually needs to move his feet more so he can get away. If he's just standing there moving his head, then I'll whack him in the body, or just keep throwing until I hit his head.

Comment

yea, i'm not ray leonard or mayweather. I don't have extremely good footwork, but i'm always workin on head movement

Comment

Head movement is always great because it leaves you right in range to counter with both hands, if you are going to use footwork as a defence one thing i use is a fast spin off (swing back foot around and pivot on my lead foot) to my left, so i'm on a different angle but still in punching range to attack back.

So but yeah I usually use footwork to set up my counters as opposed to moving my head all the time. As in I will slide back a half step or so as they attack, which makes them overextend and leave themselves open, and then pick them off with one or two shots. Or spin off and counter attack etc

But if you can make them miss, and then come up and land a convincing counter, always makes them look bad.
        Last edited by RightCross94; 12-15-2009, 12:09 AM.

Comment

one thing i kinda need to get a hang of is stepping to the side and ducking.

It seems easy, but it's difficult for me i don't know why.

Comment

Originally posted by thatjamaicanguy View Post
            one thing i kinda need to get a hang of is stepping to the side and ducking.

It seems easy, but it's difficult for me i don't know why.
            tell me about it, feels like it'll take years to learn that.

Comment

good thread

like said b4 it depends on ur style

if ur a aggresive fighter, move ur head and feet coming forward. if u need to move ur feet, move them side to side.. like a prime tyson/pryor style with angles n stuff

it was cool who said spinning off, that works

Comment

mix both things and you have a great defense

Comment

Working...
                X