No announcement yet.

DeGale sets his sights on Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeGale sets his sights on Floyd

JAMES DeGALE will train with Floyd Mayweather Jnr after his showdown with Ciaran Healey next month.

The Olympic gold medallist could also pick up some tips from Winky Wright and Jermain Taylor during a summer tour of America.

DeGale, 23, said: "We've got a few options, including training with Mayweather in Vegas.

"I'll get good quality sparring and that's what I need.

"To be in the gym with Mayweather will be unbelievable — he is one of my favourite fighters ever.

"He's a boxer who can dig deep when he needs to. Mayweather is a proper showman and I love his attitude. He has all the skills.

"If I'm half the fighter he is, I'll be cool."

A win against Healy at the MEN Arena in Manchester on July 18 will leave DeGale with a 100 per cent record after three pro fights.

And his trainer Jim McDonnell believes sparring with America's best boxers can accelerate the Londoner's progress.

McDonnell said: "We're going to use the summer vacation as part of his learning curve.

"All we've got to do with Mayweather is finalise the details.

"The connections are made and Mayweather is interested in training with him.

"We also have an option to train with Wright in Miami and Taylor at Gleason's Gym in New York.

"We want James to train and spar with world champions.

"The famous American trainer Emmanuel Steward once told me the best way to develop a young fighter is to get the best possible sparring — and that's what we're trying to do."

© 2008 News Group Newspapers Ltd
Working...
X