No announcement yet.

Prince Naaseem hamed overated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cadillac Man View Post
    WAY OVERRATED...All you need to know is he never fought again after the beating Barrera gave him.
    Erm.. not quite. He beat Calvo to win the IBF featherweight title.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      recently he seems to be winning the Hamed vs Nelson thread by a fair margin, why is this?
      Because Nelson never fought the other world champions of course, whereas Naz became linear champion in his 17 title defences. If Naz is overrated then wtf does that make Nelson??????!!!! Stupid question.

I think Naz would have KO'd Barrera in the early days when he was avoided, and Marco went for Junior Jones instead. That's just my opinion but he did win a few rounds V Marco even when he was past his best and had lost the hunger. he was calling the shots in his training camp! even so, it is obvious that he was much better than nelson which is the issue at hand. Even his non-elite opponents such as tom Johnson and Kevin Kelly were much better than the dead wood nelson made a career out of. It should also be noted that the 126lb division is alot more talented than the then 190lb division and even the newer updated 200lb division is not so clever

Comment

Originally posted by The_Visitation View Post
        Erm.. not quite. He beat Calvo to win the IBF featherweight title.
        It wasn't IBF, I think it was IBO. Calvo was just European Champion and that level of fighter and it was meant to be a tune up for a comeback. However, Hamed didn't bother when he heard all the boos after a lacklustre performance. When the British public get over his early disappearance act, they will relaise how good he was and that he was the most talented fighter from these shores. Even though he didn't live up to that talent by coming back and scrapping his way to some big wins, he still did alot in bringing attention to the lower divisions. I think Marquez, barrera, Morales and even pacman owe it to him for making them into stars. That's Prince Naseem's legacy in the sport: a pure entertainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Leakbeak View Post
          It wasn't IBF, I think it was IBO.
          Yes, it was. My bad.

Comment

It wasn't IBF, I think it was IBO. Calvo was just European Champion and that level of fighter and it was meant to be a tune up for a comeback. However, Hamed didn't bother when he heard all the boos after a lacklustre performance. When the British public get over his early disappearance act, they will relaise how good he was and that he was the most talented fighter from these shores. Even though he didn't live up to that talent by coming back and scrapping his way to some big wins, he still did alot in bringing attention to the lower divisions. I think Marquez, barrera, Morales and even pacman owe it to him for making them into stars. That's Prince Naseem's legacy in the sport: a pure entertainer.
            I do agree that Naz wasnt great in his return against Calvo!
            But i dont think it deserved the boo's and ****,
            Naz bashed him for 12rounds, that guy had a solid solid chin.
            And took some flush power shots of naz that never shook him!
            Did you see the state of his face after the fight???
            What i am tryna say is ya naz didnt improve in that fight,
            he didnt start throwing combos like he promised he would and there was no dramatic improvment since the barerra fight.

I do agree with you about his contribution to the lower weight divisons,
            i love naz and always found him entertaining and extremely fasinating to watch!
            His attitude grabbed peoples attention and he loved the lime light!
            His still of fighting will never ever be matched and thats why i think he is so special

Comment

Because Nelson never fought the other world champions of course, whereas Naz became linear champion in his 17 title defences. If Naz is overrated then wtf does that make Nelson??????!!!! Stupid question.

I think Naz would have KO'd Barrera in the early days when he was avoided, and Marco went for Junior Jones instead. That's just my opinion but he did win a few rounds V Marco even when he was past his best and had lost the hunger. he was calling the shots in his training camp! even so, it is obvious that he was much better than nelson which is the issue at hand. Even his non-elite opponents such as tom Johnson and Kevin Kelly were much better than the dead wood nelson made a career out of. It should also be noted that the 126lb division is alot more talented than the then 190lb division and even the newer updated 200lb division is not so clever
              lost his hunger... against the best fighter he ever faced?

past his best... at age 27?

Can I have a refresher of Naz being avoided?

Who are his elite opponents if Kelly and Johnson are not? Can you find anyone as relevant as Gomez on Hamed's record?

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
                lost his hunger... against the best fighter he ever faced?

past his best... at age 27?

Can I have a refresher of Naz being avoided?

Who are his elite opponents if Kelly and Johnson are not? Can you find anyone as relevant as Gomez on Hamed's record?
                Can he find anyone as relevant as an undefeated, three weight champion Jeff Fenech?

Hamed faced one guy as good as Barrera. He lost. Nelson faced numerous guys as good as Barrera and some much better. Whitaker, Sanchez, Fenech, Gomez etc.

Or what about an undefeated Gabriel Ruelas. Well, he did have a loss in a fight in which he had to retire due to a horribly injured elbow, which he was winning comfortably. Apart from that he had just come off big wins over Jimmy Garcia, undefeated Jesse James Leija etc and Nelson beat him twice when he was about 36 or something.

Hamed didn't face anyone as good as Nelson. Not even close.
                Last edited by BennyST; 05-17-2009, 02:09 AM.

Comment

I despise Hamed but i saw enough of him to relise while he was peaked and enjoying his boxing he gives in any fighter in history hell around his weight.

Hamed was over the hill by the time he fought MAB.

Comment

Working...
                  X