Lifting + boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting + boxing?

Greetings.

I have a few questions and I hope some of you might be able to answer them. I am currently lifting and have been doing so for about a year now. Furthermore, I either lift four or five times a week, depending on my schedule.

The reason I lift is because I want to get bulkier/bigger. However, now I'd also like to learn how to box. I am not planning on becoming a professional boxer or even compete for that matter. I'd just like to learn the basics, you know, fighting stance, coordination, footwork, how to jab, etc, etc. In other words, the basics.

I was planning on boxing once a week, so that my body gets used to it and then take it up a notch by boxing twice a week. Of course, I'll be doing this while lifting.

Now, what I am wondering is if this is possible? Would I be able to combine boxing with lifting? Or would it affect my gains a lot? If it only affects my lifting by, let's say, 10-15 %, then that is fine by me.

What would the most "optimal" schedule for this? So that I can both build my body, while also learning how to box. Remember, I want boxing to be "supplementary" to my lifting. The things I want to gain from boxing is what I have mentioned above and also a bit of cardio.

I have seen several threads before regarding this matter, but I was not really able to gain a clear picture by reading them. I apologise if someone finds it upsetting that I am bringing up an old subject that has been discussed before.

Originally posted by PlisiiBardhë View Post
    Greetings.

I have a few questions and I hope some of you might be able to answer them. I am currently lifting and have been doing so for about a year now. Furthermore, I either lift four or five times a week, depending on my schedule.

The reason I lift is because I want to get bulkier/bigger. However, now I'd also like to learn how to box. I am not planning on becoming a professional boxer or even compete for that matter. I'd just like to learn the basics, you know, fighting stance, coordination, footwork, how to jab, etc, etc. In other words, the basics.

I was planning on boxing once a week, so that my body gets used to it and then take it up a notch by boxing twice a week. Of course, I'll be doing this while lifting.

Now, what I am wondering is if this is possible? Would I be able to combine boxing with lifting? Or would it affect my gains a lot? If it only affects my lifting by, let's say, 10-15 %, then that is fine by me.

What would the most "optimal" schedule for this? So that I can both build my body, while also learning how to box. Remember, I want boxing to be "supplementary" to my lifting. The things I want to gain from boxing is what I have mentioned above and also a bit of cardio.

I have seen several threads before regarding this matter, but I was not really able to gain a clear picture by reading them. I apologise if someone finds it upsetting that I am bringing up an old subject that has been discussed before.
    one of my boxing trainers at my boxing club caught when i was lifting weights before boxing training he said don't it do it after training so yeah hope that helps.

Comment

Doing boxing twice a week won't hinder your bodybuilding much at all. You just need to eat more to compensate for the calories you burn. Enjoy the sweet science, It's definitely worth it.

Comment

Boxers generally don't want to get too involved in weight lifting but you can do a little boxing while still prioritizing lifting. The benefits are two fold; one is that it's a more entertaining form of cardio than conventional means. The other is that it can help build the shoulders, which is something all bodybuilders can appreciate.

Just be careful as your tendons can sometimes be pushed to their limits if you're lifting hard and boxing is not easy on the tendons. It's a lot of explosive movements. Also, definitely see a coach. If your form is bad, those explosive movements become self destructive.

As far as affecting your gains, there's no reason for it to. Another good combat sport to look into is Brazilian jiu jitsu. It'll build even more full-body strength than boxing and is more helpful to your BBing as it increases grip strength, range of motion in strength (BBrs have very little practical strength because the angles they push/pull at are so linear), etc. But, it requires a lot of dedication or you'll be getting killed every time you roll.

Comment

You will need to up the fuel intake to compensate for the calories burnt otherwise yes, you will start to notice losses.

You should see more definition, but you may get frustrated when training as some guys less bulked may hit just as hard as you, can go longer and are faster.

Comment

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
            Doing boxing twice a week won't hinder your bodybuilding much at all. You just need to eat more to compensate for the calories you burn. Enjoy the sweet science, It's definitely worth it.
            This^^^^^^

Comment

Just watch the old biceps mate. I noticed how often I got tears and tendinitis from doing alot of curls and then hitting the pads and bags. Especially jabs. Maybe its just me although I remember James Toney saying something similar.

Comment

I think most people got the answer year just eat a bit more and think of Boxing as your HIIT cardio workout.

Comment

Working...
                X