Edwin Valero Vernon Forest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edwin Valero was Julian Jackson with a great chin. He would have owned 135

Comment

Well Valero was one of the hardest punchers that have ever lived so he'd possibly do well.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Well Valero was one of the hardest punchers that have ever lived so he'd possibly do well.

Comment

Forrest was a very good fighter, who dominated Mosley who was at the top of the p4p rankings.

He got stopped by Mayorga and had serious shoulder injuries. When he died, he was still a good fighter, but past his prime.

Valero was just untested. He beat some decent opposition, but nothing we saw in the ring really hinted at potential greatness. It was too tough to tell from his relatively brief career, and simply stories about him in sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            Edwin Valero was Julian Jackson with a great chin. He would have owned 135
            Jeez...

If that would’ve been the case, DeMarco hadn't gone nine rounds or even been given the opportunity to quit on his stool - he would've been bombed out within a couple of rounds.

To propose that Valero was even close to possess the same level of monstrous punching power as Jackson is just ridiculous and unwarranted.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              I heavily suspect that you’re being ironic, but a wave of disgust went through my body as soon as I saw your post.

Ugh...

Comment

Originally posted by firecore View Post
                These are names with unanswered questions that hopefully some people here know more about.

First, before Vernon Forest died he defeated mosley at a time when people were saying mosley was #1 pfp, and at his prime. Could this guy have made it to the top with that excellent jab?

Similar question about Valero. I only got to see his last fight before the tragedy, but if I recall he looked good even though cut, and had a good record. Not sure of his resume, if he defeated any "name" fighters.
                Forrest was 38 when he died, he is unlikely to have achieved a great deal more even if he had lived.

Valero by contrast was perhaps on the verge of getting the big fights to prove his worth as a fighter. He was a lightweight, southpaw and whirlwind version of Kostya Tszyu, dynamite in his fists but reckless and like Tszyu tended to carry his chin too high in the air. Unfortunately some people cannot understand that you do not have to knock out someone with a strong chin to have had lots of power, or that not all fighters have the luxury of being given the chance to prove themselves to diehard fans satisfaction, especially when they are from Venezuela and have a damaged brain. Valero's death was a great loss to boxing but probably a great boon for humanity.

Comment

Working...
                X