Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which boxer revolutionized the sport of boxing the most.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue54 View Post
    I gotta say Jack Johnson before him there was no fighter of that caliber of defence and pure boxing ( for his time of course).
    Johnson had a move called The Falling Step. B. Sugar said it could be heard from outside the venue. Pretty sure Johnson coined it, it's in Sugar's book. Thought that was a cool tidbit

No one person has changed boxing or revolutionized boxing as a whole. It's a collective thing. We've had some great trainers and we've had some reasons rules were modified, but largely there's no 'one figure' who did it, is my argument. What revolutionized boxing was it's' delivery to the public though the broadcast channels, without that, we'd have never seen anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
      I meant watching it.
      Then what are you even going back n forth with me about if you don't even understand the difference in revolutionizing the sport IN India & watching it on other countries boxers on TV from India ffs?!?!?!

Watching boxing on TV ain't got sh^t to do with India growing their own crop of fighters that Vijender is among the pioneers of. Vijender is like the John L f#cking Sullivan of India boxing you could argue just like Zou Shiming was for Chinese aspiring boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Vijender is like the John L f#cking Sullivan of India boxing you could argue just like Zou Shiming was for Chinese aspiring boxers.
        - -Snickers unwapped eh?

Comment

Ramon ‘diamond’ Dekkers (RIP) revolutionised boxing in Muay Thai. No one cared about punching when you had knees, elbows and kicks to utilise. Dekkers made the Thai’s respect boxing - even Baukaw had a pro boxing fight to sharpen his skills.
          Watch Dekkers highlights on YouTube and fights with Coban. If you are short on time, just watch Dekkers vs Coban II.
          That fight reminds me how f@#king tough Thai’s are!! Watch Coban closely after he gets smashed in the head and jaw and receives a standing 8 count- he nods his head and pretends nothing happened and all is ok. Rungvisai may not be the most technical fighter but he’s cut from the same cloth as Coban.

I DON’T think Ali should be mentioned if we’re talking about technique. Find me a gym which teaches Ali’s style and i’ll show you a crap gym. Ali’s style made him the man because it was unorthodox and ‘technically’ wrong, so no one teaches it - but he made it work for him. This is one reason he is top 3 hw of all time.
          I don’t see many fighters copying Ali, despite his success.

I guess Jack Dempsey left a decent legacy in his wake because a) he was exciting b) broke record purses and attendances and c) his technique was fundamentally sound.
          I feel the same way Jack Dempsey left boxers following his lead in brawling, Floyd also broke record purses but was super defensive, so the next generation sees that as a way to make millions. The next few decades will tell what legacy Floyds style has left behind.
          Be interesting to do comparisons of PPV’s which were nominated FOTY and how many have been in the last decade or two.

Comment

Working...
          X