No announcement yet.

Gassiev is a punching bag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gassiev is a punching bag

The guy was just walking into shots the entire fight and has no idea how to set up combinations or to counter punch. There were ample opportunities to counter Usyk because Usyk likes to throw a lot of pitty pat arm punches but Gassiev was content to just stand there with a high guard. Terrible performance from Gassiev and Usyk looked like he was just getting warmed up. Not sure where Usyk goes from here--I guess a move to HW. Not sure how his chin does up there but I don't think either Joshua or Wilder have all that great chins either so maybe Usyk would be able to outbox them.

Originally posted by 5burowz View Post
    The guy was just walking into shots the entire fight and has no idea how to set up combinations or to counter punch. There were ample opportunities to counter Usyk because Usyk likes to throw a lot of pitty pat arm punches but Gassiev was content to just stand there with a high guard. Terrible performance from Gassiev and Usyk looked like he was just getting warmed up. Not sure where Usyk goes from here--I guess a move to HW. Not sure how his chin does up there but I don't think either Joshua or Wilder have all that great chins either so maybe Usyk would be able to outbox them.
    It was a great performance but I agree that Gassiev did not look elite. His power is elite but he is too one dimensional. I said it in the fight thread, he looked like the fighter that Golovkin's critics say he is. What Gassiev lacks that Golovkin doesn't is a jab. Gassiev absolutely had no jab, none what so ever. He just stalked and tried to land a homerun punch. He never used the jab to try and set up Uysk or keep him honest.

Comment

I saw someone call that dude "Assiev."

Comment

or maybe usyk is just that good

Comment

Anybody that knows what they're watching, knew long ago that Gassiev was just decent.

Comment

All thanks to that overhyped trainer Abel Sanchez

Comment

Agreed. He was made to look very one dimensional. Doesn't change levels or do anything to throw the guy off of rhythm. Just get torched and let him keep changing angles. Conditioning looked suspect too.

Comment

Originally posted by nether View Post
                Anybody that knows what they're watching, knew long ago that Gassiev was just decent.
                Foh he is a great fighter he just couldn’t cope with the speed, uysk fights like a jr lw no one at that weight class can keep up with, gassiev still easily handles the rest of the division and probably hw.

Comment

I have no idea why anybody was hyping up Gassiev. He looked like a 220 pound version of Chavez Jr.

Comment

how many of you prophets bet on Usyk to win though?

not many I imagine

Comment

Working...
                    X