Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it More Fun to Root For an Individual or a Team?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it More Fun to Root For an Individual or a Team?

We're all boxing fans here. So we know all about rooting for an individual, standing all on their own, facing one other individual on their own. There is no help once the bell starts. We watch our favorites win and lose and get knocked down and come back and fail and come back. The waves of a fighter's career can be drastic ones, much like the waves in a single fight.

I've never been a team sports guy. I never have understood the concept of rooting for a team against another. When it's based on nationality or region, I guess I can see that for bragging rights, but it's hard to see how a sport can offer more of an underdog than an individual competition sport. A basketball team who is the underdog still have other players to fall back on and try. A fighter has their corner but they're alone otherwise, sink or swim.

So, I know boxing's popularity is small at least in the US, compared to football, baseball and basketball, but I just don't see how a fan can get the same rush from guys playing with a ball as a team that I get from seeing one guy triumph over his opponent all by himself.

Team for sure

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      We're all boxing fans here. So we know all about rooting for an individual, standing all on their own, facing one other individual on their own. There is no help once the bell starts. We watch our favorites win and lose and get knocked down and come back and fail and come back. The waves of a fighter's career can be drastic ones, much like the waves in a single fight.

I've never been a team sports guy. I never have understood the concept of rooting for a team against another. When it's based on nationality or region, I guess I can see that for bragging rights, but it's hard to see how a sport can offer more of an underdog than an individual competition sport. A basketball team who is the underdog still have other players to fall back on and try. A fighter has their corner but they're alone otherwise, sink or swim.

So, I know boxing's popularity is small at least in the US, compared to football, baseball and basketball, but I just don't see how a fan can get the same rush from guys playing with a ball as a team that I get from seeing one guy triumph over his opponent all by himself.
      Individual

You identify with them as a person on some level

Comment

Boxing is not an individual sport there are teams in Boxing : trainers,sparring partners,conditioning coaches, nutritionist, managers ect....even in battle your corner plays a key role in victory from the coaches advise to the cutmen treating your injuries and third men with the water and ice packs. I think you have an advantage having the right coach say one of the Mayweathers vs..some random person working with you.

Comment

Team sports bore me. I'll totally play in them but have no interest in watching other people play them.

Combat sports are more intriguing because the pressure is all on one guy and you can really observe the subtleties in the mental and physical game. You don't get that in team sports.

Comment

I root for individuals only. I mainly watch combat sports with boxing being my favorite but MMA is great also. I don't even watch team sports. I am glad others enjoy them.They require great athletic skill but they seem like organized games with rules to me. The fighting sports seem closer to real life to me. I like track and field events but they are mainly individual sports as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
              Individual

You identify with them as a person on some level
              I know I do. It may sound silly but I have to like the boxer as a person to root for him. If I don't like a boxer as a person I won't root for him to win even if I know he is a damn good boxer. I won't bet money against him but I won't root for him either.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                I know I do. It may sound silly but I have to like the boxer as a person to root for him. If I don't like a boxer as a person I won't root for him to win even if I know he is a damn good boxer. I won't bet money against him but I won't root for him either.
                I think I'm like that to a point. Edwin Valero was a lot of fun but I can't hardly watch him anymore, given what he did. I also like Monzon's style but it's hard to think about him in a positive way also. And of course, this is why a lot of people don't care for Mayweather, although at least Floyd didn't murder anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                  Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  I think I'm like that to a point. Edwin Valero was a lot of fun but I can't hardly watch him anymore, given what he did. I also like Monzon's style but it's hard to think about him in a positive way also. And of course, this is why a lot of people don't care for Mayweather, although at least Floyd didn't murder anybody.
                  Rooting for a team is done out of a shallow reason most of the time.

Team plays for the fan's city.

With Floyd vs manny I found it super easy to root for Floyd.

As an entrepreneur, seeing Floyd's salesmanship was amazing. Defensive wizards aren't supposed to be PPV superstars let alone break records.

Floyd had qualities I need as an entrepreneur like hustle and enterprise.

Sometimes, it comes down to what do you identify with more. I'm not physically violent towards the opposite sex, but I could relate to Floyd thinking business.

Outside of being a funny guy who can laugh at himself, I barely identify with manny.

Comment

Working...
                  X